Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 stopped

My Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 suddenly stopped working. At first, I heard the usual "click" but the motor made a humming sound instead of moving the door. I removed the cover and gave the pulley a shove and the motor kicked on and closed the door. Now all it makes is a single "click" when I push the button to open it. Is this the symptom of a bad motor or something else?

Reply to
leeman88

Hi, Maybe relay?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, If the motor starts with a little shove, does it have a capacitor? That cap. may be shot. Thibk click is the sound of motor start relay. No owner's manual? Maybe it's online at Sears web site.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A very common failure of these units is the plastic gearset. The plastic dries out and the teeth strip of like corn off a cob. The motor turning without the gears there is very quiet. Your gears may have some teethe left which is why you were able to "give it a kick" and get it to go. It may have simply stopped on a section with no teeth and you advanced it a little to where it could find some.

They sell a kit to replace the gears. There are places online where you can order it. Easy enough to diagnose. Just take the cover off the drive unit and see what is going on - or not.

Reply to
salty

Did you try giving the pulley a shove again in the other direction to see it it would open? Could be a motor capacitor or the screw limit switches not making.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

HI, mine did that and the gear teeth were striped! I replaced the gear and now it will only move about 8 inches, reverses and stops. Any ideas??

Reply to
karl

Something jamming ook the teeth off. How does the door work without the opener?

Reply to
Clare Snyder