Sears garage door closer - won't close

Sears garage door operator won't close the door. Here are some details:
- double wide metal door, no insulation so it is fairly light - both torsion springs just professionally replaced (one had broken, not sure if problem existed before this change, it isn't my door) - door operates easily when disconnected from opener - Sears chain operated opener, maybe 10 years old - door opens without problem with the opener - when closing the door with opener it stops and reverses almost at the beginning of the cycle, that is, within 6"-12" of top - if the wall button is held continuously the door will close completely - this problem does not occur early morning or early evening (the weekday times the opener is operated) temperature problem? - I tried to adjust the down force control on the opener but it had no effect
Any ideas about what the problem might be or what to look for?
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Does the sensor that reverses the door when something breaks the light beam have something blocking the light beam so the opener thinks there is a kidlett or animal under the door. If it closes by your holding the button, does it open ok. If so, it is almost surely the safety detector that wa misaimed when someone bumped inot it.
Bob Hofmann

The light sensors are dirty. Wipe them clean.

Monitor the sensors while you try to close the door.
Mine were showing a steady green light until the motion of the door caused them to move just enough to break the circuit.
A simple adjustment and making sure the bolts were tight is all it took.
Colbyt

Symptoms you describe indicates a "safety system reversing".
here is the key one.....

The GDO "thinks" something is in the way.
Force adjustment is not the solution.
Make sure the electric eye system is clean & pointed correctly, red (or green) lights on top of electric eye housings should be continuously lit. cheers Bob

It sounds like Bob is right, but it is still possible that it could have an alignment issue.
John Keith wrote:

Sometimes the invisible light beam fixture at the bottom of the door frame gets kicked out of line or becomes loose. Do you have the same problem with the button as you do with the remote in the car?
I have 2 garage doors, one with the light beam and one without. Frankly if I ever have a problem with the light beam it's getting disconnected. That's one safety nanny state device I can do without.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

I was able to look at the door again today. I cleaned the lenses and checked the alignment. I was able to verify the green LED was working at one sensor and I think the other sensor is yellow. But in any case the door did cycle correctly once for me before I had to leave. I'll see what results the owner has over the next few days.
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Oh, thanks everyone for the tip!
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com