Sears G. Door Opener Won't Go Down With Remote - Updated

I posted this a few days ago and have an update. I hope you will forgive me for re-posting before the original post falls of the server but it seems to have at least fallen off the radar.

Original problem: ================================================= When I hit the remote control, the door barely moves down (1/4 inch) then the light bulb flashes 10 times. I'm still looking for the meaning of that flashing. The door will go _up_ just fine with the remote.

The wall switch works perfectly every time, up or down. I do not have to hold the button down on the wall switch.

It seems to me that these symptoms lead to conflicting conclusions:

- It can't be the safety sensors because the door will go down fine using the wall switch.

- It can't be that the remote signal is weak because the remote will open the door every time.

- It can't be that the down force is weak because again, the door goes down with the wall switch.

I cleared and re-set the remote code but no difference. I've been at this for several weeks and am really stuck so _Any_ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. ================================================

Here's what I did:

-switched positions of sensors; no change

-ran a new wire from the sensors to the main unit in case the in wall wire was damaged; no change

Then I removed one sensor and rubber banded it to the other sensor so that they are eye to eye, now I can not get it to fail. ??

Of course this bypasses the safety feature but it seems to suggest that the sensors were either not lined up, or damaged in some way so that either the sending or receiving eye is weak.

The only problem with that is, they are new sensors and I did line them up when installing. I'm not sure what else I can do to align them except put them in the brackets, point them at each other and rotate them until I get the solid green light.

Is there more to lining up sensors than meets the eye? Sorry for the pun, have to keep the post entertaining to folks don't lose interest. Thanks to those who have offered advice so far. If no one has any other thoughts I may consider shipping the sensors back to the store and tell them they don't work when far apart.

Reply to
uxpans

I believe your conclusion is wrong. Will it go down using the wall switch if your just tap it and not hold it down. I believe some garage doors will override the safety features if you HOLD the button down, which you can't do with the remote.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sounds like you're doing a good job trouble shooting. If your wall switch is the 3 button PREMIUM console. It could be locked which will prevent remotes from working. Hold the button on the lower right for 2 seconds to lock/unlock. Could it be that the wall switch is bad and not the remote? Have you other remotes? Do they all do the same?

Couple of thoughts from my manual. Wall switch wires connect to terminal 1 and 2 on the opener. Sensor wires connect to terminal 2 and

  1. Your remote may need to be reprogrammed to the opener. 1. Press and hold the remote push button. 2. Press and release the SRT (learn) button on the back panel of the opener. The opener light will flash once. 3. Release the remote button.

If you don't have a manual, one can be ordered

Good luck, let us know.

Steve

41N
Reply to
Steve IA

I did clear the memory on the opener and re-teach the remote code but no change. I only have the one opener, lost the other one at some point. The wall button is not locked. Thanks for the info from your manual. I contacted the online store about the sensor problem

To me, the fact that the door works when the sensors are right in front of each other, but not when far apart pretty much says that it's a sensor problem. I considered the remote too but if the remote was bad, why would the remote work when the sensors are less than 1 inch apart and not when the sensors are placed at the width of the door? How does the remote know where the sensors are?

All I know for sure is that I won't buy a Sears GDO again.

Reply to
paxton

I would return the photocells. It sounds like thats what the problem is. It wouldnt be the first time that I bought something that was broken. Good Luck

Reply to
John