Sears Front wheel Drive Mower- Wheels Froze up

I have a Sears front wheel drive lawn mower, 21 inch 6.75HP, model # 917376551, that is about 6 years old. Today while mowing, when I engaged the front wheels by squeezing the lever on the handle, I heard something POP and then the wheels froze up. The drive wheels had been making a slipping- as if a gear inside wheels was slipping and then re-engaging noise periodically for the past few months. I took the plastic cover off the drive assembly area and the cable from the handle lever is not broke, it stills seems to move the lever that is attached to what appears to be a gear box. Both wheels are frozen and will not turn by hand. I read some of the previous posts in the forum, but still getting educated on mower repair. Any ideas on further troubleshooting to see 1) what problem might be 2) is it something I could repair(reasonably handy) 3) not cost effective to repair 4) or any other things I failed to think of ? thanks in advance for your help.

No experience with gear drive, but I'd suspect ground up gears. Can you detach the gear box or open it?
--
Dan Espen

On Nov 29, 10:21pm, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Turns out the belt was off the drive shaft that blade is on. Got it back on and all fine. thanks to all.

If your transmission is like several I have seen, there is a plastic plug in the top that will allow a couple of thimblefuls of a good lithium grease to be added which should alleviate the common freezeups with this device.
--
Mr.E