Sears dehumidifer problems

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@xinap.moc (Mike S.) writes:

Probably not significant as long as no not cold-at-all or frozen coils.

OK, that does sound like a sensor problem. There really should be some way of adjusting the humidistat. You can also probably just buy an aftermarket humisistat and mount it in there somehow. It should just be a switch that turns the thing on when the humidity goes above the set-point.
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/ Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/ +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm | Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Why does ice indicate low coolant?
snipped-for-privacy@dontspamme.snet.net wrote:

Its evaporating too much or too fast. The part that would normally start to freeze when opperating nornally, is past the coils. When there is too much freon, there is not enough evaporation.
greg
GregS wrote:

a friend who works for sears reported getting may dehumidifers back and finding the digital control boards failed often.
see the store they might just give you a new one if its the bad model...

Now the cheap way to get a really good dehumidifier, buy a $85 LG 5000 BTU airconditioner, and use it. Just hook up a drain hose. OK you also put it in a window in summer.
greg

You will get better results if you write to the Sears president. Someone in his office will take care of the problem.

If there isn't enough coolant, it basically expands and cools without filling the entire evaporator coil and it gets colder in that limited area.
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/ Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/ +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm | Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
snipped-for-privacy@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote in

Mike,
I went through 5 dehumidifiers in one summer due to bad humidity sensors. I then found gas leaks at a few black pipe joints. "Knock on wood" the latest dehumidifier has not changed since new, but I have to set it at 35% to get 66% humidity (an obvious calibration offset) . If the gas polution wasn't the cause, There is a really bad quality issue with dehumidifiers with many manufacturers, I.E. Maytag, LG, Goldstar, Whirlpool and GE with the above humidity accuracy problem. The humidity readouts just pegged at the top of the scale and the compressors would not run.
I wish I could find a good old horses hair or cellophane humidistat controled unit!!
Dave M.
Follow-up to this thread: Basement getting awfully damp while I wait for the replacement sensor. In the end I took it to Sears for an estimate. They acknowledged that it had 1 year remaining warranty on the sealed components (but not the rest). Today (2 weeks after drop-off) I received two messages from Sears on my answering machine.
The first message was an apology for the delay, and they would be contacting me soon.
The second was a statement that Sears had decided to replace the dehumidifier rather than attempt repair; and I would be notified shortly when to pick up the new unit.
When I pick it up, I'll turn in the sensor for credit. All's well that ends well ... though I suppose I won't know for sure now whether the problem was the coolant or the electronics/sensor.