Sears Chipper/Shreader up in smoke!

Page 1 of 2
I was doing yard work today with my Sears craftsman Chipper/ Shredder. Apparently some leaves got near the muffler igniting the leaves and a relativey large fire started.I Didn't have the garden hose hooked up, and by the time I did get water to the fire, the shredder was litterally toast. I was afraid that the fuel tank would explode, but instead the cap burned off and the gas simply burned abnd the engine was engulfed in flames.
Since this is a Craftsman tool, I wonder if Sears will make good on the damage? The wheels are totally melted.
My wife is really pissed at me because she claims the fire could have spread to the house. The fire was far enough away.
Anyway, I will be in the dog house for a few more days.
You wonder if sears will repair it for FREE just because it says craftsman. Drink another pot of coffee. You think any warranty will cover it , drink another pot of coffee. Your wife is right.

Only hand tools.

Homeowner insurance may cover this minus your deductible but you want to save a claim for the big one. You could have ended up with a new house and a new chipper minus the deductible.

So she's not concerned that it could have spread to you??

Maybe you have a case for product liability. I can't imagine how a properly designed device would catch fire while being used for its designed purpose.
JimL

msterspy wrote:

Sears craftsman HAND TOOLS are covered for life. I don't believe a shredder is a hand tool.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
That's pretty funny. Thanks, I need a little humor at this time. M
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:45:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

No, it wasn't their fault. I appologize, I was joking when I made that comment. It has been a stressfull day. M
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:43:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

It's no hand tool, but it is now a melted piece of junk that will be left out on the curb for trash pickup.
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:06:46 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Was it old, could a gas leak have started it. Depending on where it burnt it may not have done much electrical- fuel damage that is hard to fix. The motor and chipper is probably fine its all metal.
Unless they have changed it in the last few years, technically, not ALL Sears Craftsman hand tools are warranteed for life. I was shocked to be shown it in the fine print on the card the new tool, an angle finding device, was attached to. I raised hell up the supervisory line because we are led to believe otherwise, and they replaced the tool just to get rid of a scene in the store. Maybe it was me pointing to the word "Craftsman" and poking it in front of his face. <G> This may no longer be the case, but it once was.
RJ

I was doing yard work today with my Sears craftsman Chipper/ Shredder. CY: Right, that sounds like a good thing to do.
Apparently some leaves got near the muffler igniting the leaves and a relativey large fire started. CY: Fires have a habit of growing.
I Didn't have the garden hose hooked up, and by the time I did get water to the fire, the shredder was litterally toast. CY: Well, since it was literally toast, butter it and eat it for breakfast. If you are going to use the word "literally", then I will accept your usage in the literal manner it was meant.
I was afraid that the fuel tank would explode, but instead the cap burned off and the gas simply burned abnd the engine was engulfed in flames. CY: Wish you woulda took some pictures. That musta been spectacular. I did light a lawn mower on fire one time, but not as good as yours. I got the fire put out before the (literally plastic) gas tank melted.
Since this is a Craftsman tool, I wonder if Sears will make good on the damage? The wheels are totally melted. CY: I suggest you call Americas Funnist Home Videos. Get a video camera, and a videographer. Scrape the chipper off the ground, put it in your vehicle, and then take it to Sears. Ask them the question in personn, and have your videographer record the conversation. Send the tape to AFHV, and use the winnings to buy your next chipper.
My wife is really pissed at me because she claims the fire could have spread to the house. The fire was far enough away. CY: fire spreads, silly.
Anyway, I will be in the dog house for a few more days. CY: Say hi to Fido for me.
Backlash wrote:

I believe it was maybe 10-20 years ago when some "Craftsman" hand tools were sold but not lifetime warrantee. I thought it was a poor idea then and still do. Funny thing of all the tools I have bought from them, including power tools. the only one I had fail was a breaker bar and that they replaced twice.
These days I am less likely to buy from Sears. The apparent quality has gone down in my opinion.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 06:38:35 -0700, Stormin Mormon wrote

Let's see... hose... no, wait! Where's my camera?
:-)
--
Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn\'t
ask a question here if I hadn\'t done that already.

On Saturday. Go early.
--
Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn\'t
ask a question here if I hadn\'t done that already.

Kidding asside though (and I'm very sorry to bring this up ) Some years ago a very close family memeber of my wife was killed in a fire so I guess that she has earned the right to be paranoid about fires.
Anyway, the Chipper is history and now I/'m going to look for someone to rake my yard. I'm getting too old for this.
It is 20 year old. The gas cap melted and the spark plug wire also burned up. The wheels also melted.
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:17:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

If the thing was 20 years old I'd say it outlived its usefulness and thus I don't think you have a prayer of getting them to replace it. One thing that you will have to contend with is finding a clerk to wait on you. They are just like Kmart is you have to hunt for a sales clerk. In a few short years I bet you a dollar that they will be filing chapter 11 just like Kmart since they are now one.

msterspy wrote:

So, roll the thing into Sears and ask for a replacement.
If they say no, tell them you have to wait on the curb for four hours for your ride back home. You can wait with this thing or a new one. Their choice.