Sears air compressor wont meet the top pressure.

I have an older small sears craftsman air compressor. When I turn the unit on it will reach 60 psi. It will not go above 60 psi and continues to run. The tank holds the 60 psi after I manually turn it off. Is this something I can fix?

Reply to
rcpnt

May have to rebuild it. God chance the piston/rings are worn.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin makes a good point. The other thing I would check is the relief valve. Make sure it isn't relieving at 60 PSIG and you are not hearing it when the compressor is running.

Reply to
Eric9822

Some compressors need a couple drops of oil into the air intake now and again, to keep the piston seal. I had a small 12 volt compressor that plugged into the lighter. That was in the instructions. Thirty years ago, when people planned on keeping things around.

Does the compressor have a crankcase and oil? If so, it may be low oil. Or dirty old oil that ought to be replaced. Use non detergent 30 weight in most cases.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

God chance the rings are worn, or maybe the perma lube piston walls are dried out. Couple drops of oil in the air intake may relube the God rings.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon