Sears 42 inch lawn mower grass catcher

I want more lift and blower power on my lawn tractor lawn mower to blow better into the grass catcher, picking up leaves. Can I twist the lawn mower blades to give them more pitch? I can't seem to find any blades specially designed for greater blowing power.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

They are called High-Lift blades and should be available without a great deal of difficulty at a good mower shop.

Reply to
EXT

No! Not as a DIY person.

Search for a "newer" type blade that will not void any warranty.

Reply to
Oren

My stuff is beyond warranty.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Give the possibilities of cracking the metal if not properly heated or ruining any temper in the blade, I'd certainly not risk it. They spin to fast to take chances like that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe I could bold wings on the tips?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

You _could_, but shouldn't even consider it for the schrapnel possibility it raises.

As somebody else said, go to your local shop of choice and ask for a set of high-lift blades; they're made specifically for the purpose. Take an old blade to match specific length/hole size, etc., ...

A quick google for "42 high lift mower blade" returned some 10k+ hits...

I presume this is 2-spindle deck?

--

Reply to
dpb

on 10/16/2009 4:21 PM (ET) Van Chocstraw wrote the following:

You'll probably throw the blades out of balance, which may cause bearing and/or shaft damage. I have a 3 bladed mower deck and I find that I have to keep the revs high and the deck low for maximum lift. I also tape up all joints in the lift tube so all the air blowing into the tube stays in the tube until it gets to the baskets.

Reply to
willshak

I've also heard that raising the front of the deck a little (thereby changing the angle of the blades relative to the ground) can really help, at the expense of a cut that's less neat ("less neat" not really being an issue for leaf clearance).

Reply to
Jules

I run it wide open now. Picks up dry leaves ok but damp grass and leaves I have to run the slowest gear and it still plugs the tube sometimes. Maybe if I increase the size of the drive pulley and douple the rpm's of the blades it would work the best.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw