Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

I have a 4-5 year old Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener. It had been working fine, but a few days ago it malfunctioned. When I press the control to open it, I can hear the motor running, but the gear that drives the chain doesn't turn. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Sounds as though the gear that dives the chain has come loose from the drive shaft of the motor.
It probably has a set screw that has loosened.
--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven\'s Current Weather
Our garage door openers overhead light would not go out when we closed the door. We called Sears and the man said if you do not need the light just take the bulb out, which we did. It works fine now.
He said it would cost more to repair it than buying a new unit.
shirleyann
Is there a question here?
--
Steve Barker

"Shirley ann" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
On 10 Feb 2007 16:31:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Take the cover off and look at it. The white plastic worm gear is probably worn out. It is replaceable
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/gear-assembly.html