Seamless gutters

Is there a maximum length for a seamless gutter? The length of my house is 44 ft. I have received two drastically different estimates for my house primarily because one contractor feels I need 4 downspouts because the length is greater than the maximum (35ft) while the other thinks I only need two.

Reply to
Greg Carter

The number of downspouts is really a factor of the roof area not length of gutter. I would think that local weather requirements would also factor in as well as the size of the gutters and downspouts.

What does that have to do with max length of seamless gutter. They should be able to do all 44 ft in one section, assuming no other problems.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Oh yea, the real question is how do I know which contractor to pick. Check up on each of them. Check with prior customers. Make sure they both have full insurance and any license required locally.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

better check the thickness of the gutters first... the gauge of the aluminum... and the size of the gutter... i got alum. gutters that i went to a building supply house(not a home depote or a lowes) and got the thicker alum. gutters and they came in pretty long lengths... cant remember how long, but i got a house 64 ft. wide, 34 ft thick... i got two pieces of alum. with a connections in the middle of the front of the house and the back of the house... the sides have one section each...i got 4 downspouts on the house... one at each corner of the rectangle shaped house..... i saved alot doing it myself and got what i think a better product. i have seen some of my neighbors with the seamless/roll out on a back of a truck: it looks paper thin and some look like they are hanging in a loop when nailed to the facia of a house..... something to think about....

Reply to
jim

Maximum is the length of an aluminum roll, so 1,000 feet for normal gutters. Nobody would hang it though... :)

Downspouts are a function of water volume and drainage placement. On a straight run, it would be the roof area that determines the downspouts, but one contractor may be planning on sloping the gutters differently. Assuming downspouts at ends and peaked in the middle, a

22 foot run at 1/8" drop is 2.75 inches. If your fascia can handle that, then two is likely okay on a normal roof.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

I have a 72' section of seamless that we put up with 2 (!) people only, and we were still speaking to each other after we finished. It has two downspouts, one at each end, draining about 1000 square feet of roof. We get some pretty heavy rain at times but I have never seen it overflow. Unless you get real deluges on a frequent basis, I can't believe that you need more than two downspouts.

Seamless cutter is rolled out of coil stock and I would guess that the only limit to making it is the length of a coil, which is probably something like

500'. There are definitely limits to what can be easily handled, however.

Reply to
donald girod