Sealing Windshield

Need suggestion. Windshield leaks across top. It is fairly new, but put installed in another city, so I can't take it back for warranty.

Trying to figure out the best way to seal it. I was thinking aquarium silicon sealant, but I am worried it won't be "sticky" enough. Is there something better?

Reply to
Jack

Is this a flush glued in windshield? In any case, if this was paid for by your insurance company, you might call them and ask them for assistance in getting someone local to fix it. Otherwise I would just bite the bullet and bring it in to a windshield place and ask them to repair it correctly. It probably won't cost much.

Reply to
Art

Most Auto Parts Supply places carry "Windshield Sealant in tubes.

Reply to
tinacci336

As suggested, I would recommend trying to have it repaired by a auto window shop first. Find out how much and or see if you can really get the warranty honored or if the insurance company has any suggestions.

Other than that if you end up doing it yourself, you can buy either the aquarium stuff or the stuff at the auto parts store. Believe me the aquarium stuff is strong enough, it will hold aquariums together after the fill them with water. It is strong.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've had to cope with this problem several times over the years. The bottom line is that once it starts leaking, body rust is involved above the windshield. So you have to go to a body shop. But they will tell you the windshield has to be removed and will probably break, so it must actually be replaced. I used a local technical vocational high school and they did an excellent job for about a third of what local body shops asked!

Reply to
Stubby

Does the installing company have an office where you are?

Reply to
SQLit

Unfortunately, I've had consistent problems with our Dodge Grand Caravan's windshield leaking at the top. After some attempts of repair by the dealer and the a local auto glass shop (by back filling), I had the shop replace the windshield.

Over time, a leaking windshield will cause the pinch weld on the body to rust (see Stubby's post above). This can be a major problem as the windshield provides a fair amount of structural strength to the vehicle. This is where a body shop may have to be called upon.

Good luck, as this can sometimes be difficult to fix, even with the nessary body work and new glass.

Reply to
Don

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:aA9xf.21196$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Another thing to consider is that today's auto bodies get a significant part of their structural strength from the glued-in windshield. A poor job of bonding the glass to the body defeats that. IMO,leaks indicate a poor job.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Auto parts stores sell very runny windshield sealers that will drip into the leak. Loctite has one based on silicone rubber, while 3M's is crystal clear. You'll need to remove the windshield trim to make sure it reaches the leak.

I've replaced 3 glue-in windshields myself and can't understand how a halfway decent job can leak at all, unless the car was driven off before at least twice the cure time for the glue. But for the glue to stick well, all the surfaces have to be made and kept 100% clean, which is why glazers are supposed to wear gloves while handling the glass. Contamination can be so harmful to the glue joint that it can be possible to push out the windshield by hand, and a windshield not held firmly in place can be very dangerous in a crash since the passenger-side airbag relies on the windshield to hold it in place.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

A windshield repair shop can fix the sucker in twenty minutes. They have the right tools and the right glue. Cost should be negligble (maybe $20-$30).

Reply to
HeyBub