Sealing windows for winter? ? ?

We live in an old building, and cold air pours in through the sash windows -- especially that place where the top and bottom come together.
I've been told there's a special foam-like caulking compound that peels off when you raise the windows in the warm season.
Can anyone tell me the name of this product and where I can get it?

I've never found the foam, but the paint-friendly clear tape they sell to use with the bulk window plastic rolls works pretty good for cracks like that. I did all the windows on the windward side of my place, and it made a noticable differnce. Before, the plastic on the inside would blow up like a balloon. If I don't splurge and buy new windows next year, I'm gonna blow a couple hundred on sheets of plexi to make interior storms to go with the exterior storms.
aem sends...

Dunno, but I will say that my experience with 3M window film has been extremely positive in the last old place I lived that had lousy windows. If the aesthetics aren't a killer for you, the 3M window film kits are extremely effective in decreasing draftiness. And do buy 3M--they're worth it over the no name kits whose tape never seems to hold up like 3M's.
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net /
Dap Seal 'N Peel
Season Seal Removable Weather Strip
Zip-A-Way Removable Weather Strip

Dap Seal n' Peal is the stuff I have seen at my local Lowe's store. I almost bought it one time too but didn't want to spend the money knowing that I would end up removing the stuff the next season. Besides, that, I didn't know that I would find all the air leaks. Instead, I bought what is basically large sheets of plastic wrap that is stuck to the windows with a very clear film/tape. You basically put it along the outer portion of the window, stretch the plastic on, and use a hair dryer to shrink wrap the window. It comes out looking great and you don't feel any drafts come in off the windows.
I did it on all the windows on the bottom floor of my house and I have been a lot more comfortable (so has my heat pump since it is cycling yet). My wife isn't much more comfortable but she would be cold in a desert.

Just get the 3M stuff. IMO, "brand x" isn't worth the money saved because the brand x tape will peel the paint off the window trim at the end of the season. 3M's tape doesn't do that. Also use a heat gun rather than a hair dryer to tighten up the clear film. Heat guns do a much better job and cost only around $30.
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:12:55 GMT, "Bettina"

IMHO:
I lived in an old place now and then. They have:
1. Temp storm window kits, plastic you put over the window for the winter. Not a fan of this.
2. "Removable Caulk", they sell it at Lowes and Home Depot. You can caulk up seams, cracks, even aroudn the whole window and remove it later. Ask, and follow directions.
later,
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com