Sealing raw drywall edges

I had a small shower fixture leak behind drywall. I've cut out the bad drywall and repaired the leak, and now I'm replacing the drywall patch (~8" X 12").
I've used a hole saw to cut the hole for the shower head fixture. The hole will only be covered with a small flange. I don't like the idea of the raw drywall edge being exposed to the moist environment.
Is there a preferred sealant or method for raw drywall edges?
Thanks a heap, -jbb
--
J.B.Bobbitt

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:

If it is drywall the surface is just as much of a problem as the edges.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
The surface will be painted w/ gloss enamel paint.
-jbb

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:

That is nice, but not what I would consider real protection. Regular drywall does not do will in damp conditions. They make a special product for those situations. Are you sure it is standard drywall?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I appreciate the insight.
No, I'm not sure. The piece I cut out has no identifying or distinguishing markings, and it looks like regular drywall. This patch is above the pre-fab shower enclosure, but the brass threaded elbow for the shower fixture sits behind drywall about 8" above the lip of the enclosure.
The other thing I don;t like about this arrangement is that the bottom edge of the drywall sits on the lip of the pre-fab enclosure all along the top of the enclosure, and the caulk seal deteriorates and looks ragged.
I'm starting to think the builder didn't do this quite right.
-jbb

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:

The paper on the drywall would be green if it was water resistant.

That's how it is done.
Thanks all.