sealing concrete

I am having concrete poured in a new polebarn in a couple of weeks. I will be doing auto "tinkering", meaning varius auto fluids will be leakng on it. What is the best sealer to use, and how soon after the pour can/should I do this? Thanks, Earl

Reply to
big e lewis

Earl-

I would suggest a vapor barrier under the concrete.

If you're realy serious about painting the floor & wanting it to last

I would use Rustoleum Industrial DTM Epoxy Mastic (9100 System) 2 coats

here's the tech info on prep & application

I've been using this product on shop, lab & garage floors for 20+ years.

I have been extemely satisfied.

The last garage floor I painted was 5 years old when I prepped & painted it.

It had some oil spots & some small (larger than harline) cracks. The stuff's been down for 6 years. Mountain environment, snow, sometimes tire chains, road ashes. Some cars w/ small oil leaks.

No summer peel off (yet)

So far so good (again) looks like I'll get at least another 10 years before I'll need to recoat (not sure it will be needed but to maintain coating integrity). With the second go 'round, the stuff will probably outlast me.

Read the tech info & moisture testing.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Typical "sealers" will not help much with your issue.

What will work is a quality real 2 part epoxy made for garages. It may be a tad expensive for your applicaeion.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Nothing beats a two part epoxy on concrete. Water based ones are Ok, but solvent based will put more material down on the floor. Sherwin- Williams has a dandy 2 part solvent based that appears yield more square feet coverage per $$. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe