Sealing Compound to use on 1/8" engine fittings?

I am installing a bunch of 1/8" NPT fittings into an engine (26 year old Onan DJE generator). I would like to make sure that no matter what, the engine oil sealed off by the fittings, does not spill.
Should I use teflon tape (which is a hassle), or is there some nice compound that I can put on threads?
thanks
if threads are clean, white Loctite Thread Sealant - there's two, both will work dandy in any automotive threads. one is extra high heat, for cyl head fittings or exhaust bolts, but other is better for later on taking stuff apart if not super hot location. (and not the one with teflon) doesn't actually fully lock it.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

It's called "Loctite 567" aka pipe dope or PST. And it does not have any locking properties, only high heat sealing. Loctite 545 is for NPT threads in a hydraulic application.

On 22 Dec 2004 15:49:47 GMT, Ignoramus31279

Here's some reading material related to your question.
Hope this helps!
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=npt+engine+fittings+sealant