Sealing a toilet drain

I have a problem with a leak under the linoleum around a toilet. In advance of repairing it I'm wondering about the leak possibilities. I know that the wax ring is supposed to install around the waste horn with the tapered end upside and I assume squash against the drain flange and the bottom of the toilet bowl above the horn but I'm wondering about the possibility of a leak between the waste flange and mating drain pipe or even a break in the pipe. I'm going to hire a licensed plumber to fix this but I'd like to understand the problem too. Any ideas on this?
The usual reason that a wax ring fails is movement of the toilet. Be sure it is sitting solidly on the floor with NO movement in any direction. You may have to shim it to get it to sit still. Pull the toilet, clean up the area, "dry set" the toilet (no wax ring) to see if it is stabile and then put on the wax ring and set the tiolet and shim if needed. Caulk the base to the floor. Some leave an opening in the caulk at the rear as a "telltale" for any leaks. Make sure the wax ring is warm and pliable before setting the toilet. It is easiest to set the toilet if the tank is not attached to the bowl. Much easier to handle.
Blue wrote:

Just how does the waste flange attach to the mating wastepipe below? Is there a possibility of leaking there even if the wax ring is intact and not leaking?