Sealing a recently poured concrete floor

I had a concrete garage pad poured on Monday and want to seal it. My reason for sealing it is to prevent bad oil stains and other problems...plus it would be nice not to have dust come up for it. I did a search and I see wait 30 days and do it right after it was poured. I was thinking of using Quickrete Acrylic Sealer. Any suggestions on what is best to accomplish what I want...and when to do it? Also I will be laying 2 courses of concrete block on the perimiter...should I not seal where the block is attached?

Reply to
dbuckley

When it comes to acrylic seals, don't get the cheapest, the best is only a few bucks more, and it makes a big difference.

Reply to
twice_redeemed

is quickrete not the best? what brands are?

Reply to
dbuckley

now's the perfect time to use an epoxy paint, or some other epoxy coating. most of them say you should wait 30 days before putting down anything, and you want to do the block work first, so you can do up the first course too.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

You may want more experts to chime in, but I am to understand concrete takes up to a year to cure. So sealing right away might not be the wisest.

Reply to
ng_reader

I would fall into the epoxy category here. I would recommend a 4 coat epoxy floor coating with a chemical resistant urethane top coat. We have had this done for our last few clients and they have been extremely happy with it. With the urethane top coats it is resistant to all of your standard "garage fluids" and seems to hold up well against the occasional dropped hammer, etc.

Reply to
vaughnet

I'd give it a good month and lay poly down so that the odd drips don't stain the new 'crete. You might also try calling the readi-mix plant and ask them about how long you should wait. They're in the business and should know their product.

Reply to
C & M

To generalize, the best conc. strength is achieved by keeping it wet for a month after pouring. Drying out takes another +-3 weeks in mild temp. and humidity conditions. However, you might compromise by not wetting -where strength is not critical- and waiting the minimum(?) 3 weeks drying time to seal. Concrete floor sealer manufacturers will have better advice, re: their products.

Reply to
zenboom

I would call the installer. When we sealed an old concrete balcony deck, the sealer instructions advised waiting a month, I believe. Can't recall for sure because it was about 4 yrs ago and did not apply. Our condo was being painted and I asked the contractor which was best sealer to use. We sealed the deck to keep rain from seeping through to the ceiling below - partly enclosed atrium. Also used muriatic to prep it. I would not experiment on a brand new floor, and the installer should know just what/when to use.

Reply to
Norminn

Reply to
Art Yokell

Here are some of the professional products:

These products may not be available at Home Depot et. al. They will be available at concrete contractors supply houses.

DanG

I did a search and I see wait 30 days and do it right after it was poured.

******************************************************************************** If you are confused about some people saying to cure it immediatly and some saying wait 30 days, it's because they were talking about two different things. After the concrete is poured and finished they sometimes put a curing compound on it, which is often called a sealer. This stops the moisture from evaporating, thus making the concrete stronger. You do not want this on your floor if you are going to put an epoxy finish on the concrete. Check with the manufacturer and see how long they suggest you wait before applying the finish.
Reply to
Joe