"Sealed" Bearings: Lubing?

Quotes because I don't know enough to say that these bearings are truly sealed... but they have the rubbery rings around them.
viz: http://tinyurl.com/lgnyy2s
These are a couple of PTO quick-release adapters that had finally gotten so nasty that they were neither quick nor releasing.
So I disassembled them, let them soak in degreaser for a couple days, and went at them with a toothbrush.
Surprise, surprise.... I found that they each have a (pressed-in?...I can't make it budge) bearing whose lube the degreaser probably made history.
So I need to re-lube those bad boyz.
My kneejerk reaction is to take a razor blade or some other thin tool and gently pry the black rings off... then clean the balls, re-pack with grease, and then hope the black rings go back into place and stay there.
I know this isn't rocket science.... but these things take quite a beating and I'd rather not mess up the "sealed" aspect and have them fail prematurely.
Methodology? Are they really "Sealed"?
--
Pete Cresswell

On Monday, April 7, 2014 3:49:53 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Yes, they are a sealed bearing...and you "can" open the seals, clean, and re-pack them. They may be noisy after that (if they were run dry) but they will give you some more time out of them!
On 4/7/2014 3:49 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote: ...

Ay-up, they is...(sealed that is ;) )
I suspect you'll do more damage in the longer run messing up the seals than you'll help by adding lube--if they're difficult to get to I'd just go ahead and replace them now if they're dry/rough to the hand roll test. If it's no big deal to get to them, I'd then just put 'em back and wait for the failure first.
dpb wrote:

Hi, IMO, if sealed bearing is in need of lube job, maybe you can inject grease with a tiny pin hole without damaging the seals but isn't it a time for replacement? I don't want to run into a safety issue with a rejuvenated bearings.
You can by a thin 'hypodermic" needle grease gun gizmo to use to shoot some grease under the seals if you can pry the edge up just a little.

Per Bob F:

Sounds like the consensus is "Replace Them".
All I need now is to find out how they are removed and the new ones put in place.
I'm thinking a piece of 2" dowel and a 5 lb mallet will get them out.... but pounding the new ones in doesn't ring true to me.
Or are they stuck in there just because of crud/time/corrosion and once the old ones are removed the new ones sound slide right in to place?
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Just be sure that there is no retaining snap rings before you start pounding them out.

...snip...

...snip...

They can also be pretty expensive. I've used bearings like this in the past:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/FullCeramicBearings/Kit10781
use a press to install new bearings.....
or take to local machine shop to get new bearings pressed on...
pounding on them when new will lead to early failure
Pete, to add to my previous post...the seals are neoprene and metal, and po p-out fairly easily. I use a small springhook to get under the sealing lip of it. I prefer not drying bearings with solvent and use a light spray oil to clean them, blow them out, and use wheel bearing grease to repack. I've done this many times and they last...but may be a little noisy compare d to new!