Seal window over bathtub

I'll get a bathroom renovation. There is an old wood window over the tub, and I don't like it due to moisture problem. But to seal it, a lot of work required, and outside it's hard to match the exterior stucco for the 40-yr old house.

A reno contractor suggests doing this way. Paint black inside on the window glass. So from outside, it looks like dark inside. Put insulation and drywall inside the window. No window over the tub!

Is it a good idea?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John61

Why do you have a moisture problem? If the window is old, maybe you just need to replace the window. It is nice to have a window in a bathroom to let light in, and also to ventilate.

Reply to
Mikepier

In my area, we typically replace these with glass block windows, and run the tile tight to them on the inside.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

That method sounds like it will be wrought with problems.

- You'll still have to deal with the external maintenance

- The black paint will eventually need redoing - how are you going to do that? - windows aren't typically removable from the outside. Besides, I seriously doubt that a window painted black is going to look like a dark room. No more than the curtains painted on the windows in the Bronx made the abandoned buildings looked lived n.

- Any moisture that occurs due to temperature changes will be trapped inside the wall - I'm thinking mold.

2 things come to mind - Glass block or a vinyl replacement window with vinyl trim - if he seals up the vinyl window the same way as he would seal it up outside (vinyl trim and a good quality caulk) it shouldn't be a problem.

All that said, since I think painting the window black and "hiding" it is a really bad idea, I'd probably be concerned about the overall expertise of the contractor you're using.

Reply to
DerbyDad03