Seal leak without ripping out shower stall

Is there any way to seal a small leak in a drain pipe from a shower stall without having to rip out the floor of the shower? It seems like the drain pipe would be difficult to get to without doing that.
In fact, a plumber did just that on one occasion. Slight leak-- he ripped out the entire shower (it was a low-cost sheet metal stall). Not saying he was competent, mind you. It seems like there should be a better way.

Oh, just in case it wasn't obvious, I can't get to the underside of the shower. This would have to be done from the top (which may be why the previous guy ripped out the entire shower.)
On 02/25/2014 05:49 AM, Terry C wrote:

One of those "no basement" houses?
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:54:24 AM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

Some more details of the construction, where it's leaking, etc would sure help.

Nope. Restaurant with creepy owners who absolutely will not have any intrusions, much less have their ceiling torn up. Gotta be done from topside, unfortunately, even if it means tearing the shower out.
There are a couple types of spray sealers (Rustoleum), but I have little confidence and no experience with those. I doubt that would be effective.
I thought that this must be something that's been solved occasionally, but maybe not.
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:57:58 AM UTC-5, Terry C wrote:

It sounds like you're a renter? If so, why is it your problem? In 99% of the cases, it;s the landlords problem. And if you have a lease that says it's your problem, I doubt that the lease says that to correct problems in your space, you're excluded from reasonable solutions that involde access from above. What in writing says that it;s your problem and has to be fixed from above?

Spraying it where?

Without more specifics, how can you expect us to solve it?
On 02/25/2014 10:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That's quite correct. I'd let them know that if it does not get fixed, all that's going to happen is that the restaurant is going to flood. If they don't fix it , it's not your problem.
As a renter, you are only responsible for damage that you've caused, not for normal maintenance.

Could be he owns a condo above a restaurant. Hard to say unless he is a bit more forthcoming with details.
Don't 'cha just hate it when you have to drag details out of people?

You spray it right down the drain! RustOleum makes a spray with "leak seeking radar" - LeakDar © - which seeks out and seals leaks in any pipe. The only problem is that it sometimes considers that big round hole in the middle of the pipe to be a leak and seals that also. RustOleum also sells a special flexible bit - FlexiDrainReopenerBit © - so you can drill out the pipe once the LeakDar © seals it shut.
Hmmm...should I add a smiley or not?

http://www.hammertap.com/my_files/images/crystalball_468x317.jpg
On 2/25/2014 10:57 AM, Terry C wrote:

If they don't want intrusions, then let the shower drip until they do.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, +1
Terry,
If you had 2 leaks in this drain pipe then it's time to take a serious look at your pipes. Make plans to shower elsewhere for awhile. I don't think you are looking at something quick or cheap. Who owns the pipes?
Dave M.
I would consider letting things dry out, and then coating the inside of the pipe with silicone rubber smeared all around the pipe, using a rag on the end of a stick if necessary to get down deep into the pipe. Once the silic one is partly set up, I would run something down the pipe to smooth out the silicone rubber so it doesn't snag every little hair that comes down the d rain.