Seal an old septic cast iron pipe

How do you properly seal an old cast iron waste pipe? This pipe was for a septic system used before the home was connected to the town sewer. Right now, the previous owners broke off the pipe at the wall and filled it with expanding foam insulation. The problem is, we have had a lot of rain and the water table is very high. The pipe is now leaking water onto the basement floor. I probably can not cap the pipe because it is broken off and even with the wall. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
--
pgsteelers

Well, really you ought to remove the thing entirely, but a short term solution is one of those 4" rubber-plugs with metal plates on both sides, and a bolt through the middle. You slide the whole plug into the pipe, and crank the bolt tight, with pulls the plates together and squeezes the rubber against the sides of the pipe.
--goedjn
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:10:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That's exactly what I would do. It's not needed, so concrete will make a permanent seal. First dig out the foam, stuff newspaper in there if the cement will run way down into the pipe. Fill it with the concrete and trowel it smooth. Total cost less than $5 for a bag of redi-crete.

But as soon as you can, replace the whole mess with 4" PVC, connected by the 4" rubber pipe connectors that tighten with a screw driver. Iron pipe is obsolete.

I can't think of a reason *not* to fill it with concrete...