Scrolled Ceiling Repair

I have a scrolled cathedral ceiling that has developed cracks. It had been repaired in the past by a painter. I believe all he did was fill these cracks with paint. I intend to repair myself and would like advise on best proceedure. Is using a small bead of silicone and blending in with the scroll the best proceedure?
Dick wrote:

Best? Don't know. Possible, yes...if you use *paintable* silicone caulk.
--

dadiOH
on 10/19/2007 9:37 AM Dick said the following:

How about using spackle to fill the cracks. If they are tiny cracks, just use your finger to fill them. If larger, I would use painter's acrylic latex caulk.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

What's a 'scrolled ceiling'? Fancy plaster? Just curious...
Joe