Scroll Compressor and Energy Efficient Window Air Conditioners

I'm looking for a new window air-conditioner, and while price is important, I'm more interested in something that is *quiet* and has a high EER rating. I have heard that the new "scroll compressors" are quieter and more efficient, but after some searching online, I can't seem to find any window units that are marketed with that feature. In fact, it's pretty hard to find anyone who's trying to push a high EER as a feature. l'm in Philadelphia, and I only need about 6000btu unit for a bedroom. Does anyone have any recommendation for a very quiet unit that's energy efficient? Are the newer scroll compressors even available on window units? Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
andrew

Same here.

I was screwed royally by JRMusic when I ordered a quiet high EER online. They sent me a used one that had been damaged and repaired and was noisy as hell.. It would have cost me a bundle to return it although I could have eventually sued their sorry ass and won. But rather than put up with the hassle, I put up with the noisy old damaged AC.

JRMusic is a bunch of crooks, pure and simple.

Meanwhile, I've found the local Sears store at the mall has an excellent choice of quiet high EER units. I have one of theirs in my master bedroom and I love it. It cycles on and off during the night but is quiet enough that it doesn't wake you. In fact, we sleep better with it doing its thing.

And best part of my window unit is that it knocked over $100 a month off my summer electric bills.

Reply to
dk

I had a message ready to send & somehow hit the wrong key & lost it!

A lot of Room A/Cs use Rotary screw type compressors which are somewhat similar to scrolls.

A rotary screw compressor is a type of gas compressor which uses a rotary type positive displacement mechanism. The mechanism for gas compression utilizes either a single screw element or two counter rotating intermeshed helical screw elements housed within a specially shaped chamber. As the mechanism rotates, the meshing and rotation of the two helical rotors produces a series of volume-reducing cavities. Gas is drawn in through an inlet port in the casing, captured in a cavity, compressed as the cavity reduces in volume, and then discharged through another port in the casing. Good Rotary compressors are okay.

I love my 6,000-btu/hr Whirlpool "Quiet Partner Series," that I bought several years ago. Low price, little over $100 and 9.7 EER. It appears to be a Rotary Compressor coupled with a three speed fan & various Tricks I use to cool and dehumidify perfectly 3 rooms & a hallway 900-sq.ft. Remote controlled and it does everything perfectly for 900-sq.ft first floor in 104-F Heat index here in SW WI. See how that is accomplished:

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell