Screws or nail?

I'm at the beginning of a mammoth fencing project.... A simple wooden fence using 6'x6" dog ear panels and pressure treated posts and 2x4s. So far I used galvanized joist nails to join the 2x4s to the posts (using fence brackets) but have screwed the dog ear panels to the 2x4s (using triple coated deck screws that were going very cheap at Menards). My question is, are screws as good a solution as nails for the panels? The wood is pretty soft, and the screws do not tighten up too much before they start to turn. That said, they feel pretty solid. But the nails displace a lot more wood going in, and seem to create a tough joint (I had to take a couple out...they were in pretty good).

I guess if nails are best, I will have to spring for a nail gun. Seeing as my materials budget is around $4k I suppose I can justify that if I have to. But only if screws will not be good enough in the long run.

All ideas and advice gratefully received.

Mat

Reply to
Mat and Suzy

Personally, I prefer screws over most nails (annular ring shank are good, however) better holding power than nails

Reply to
no1herenow

I'd use square drive stainless steel screws. You can see them at

or any good hardware supplier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Screws hold better. It sounds like you're stripping out the screws by over-torquing them. Are you sure the clutch setting on your driver is correctly set?

For a project that big, you might want to buy an autofeed screwgun. It would save you a sh...errr...lots of time. You can sell it on eBay when you're done and you'll get most of your money back.

RicodJour

Reply to
Phisherman

LOL, the square drive things are known as Robertsons, a canadian invention and head an shoulders above anything the yanks have ever devised in the fastener drive area. Its about time them stubborn, pig heads south of us figured out what we clever canadians have known for 80 years. Near anything to do with electrical in canada is set up with Robertson#2 drives. They make life so simple!!!

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

on is, are screws as good a solution as nails for the panels?

Anyone else find it interesting that Guy capitalized Robertson and not canadian, canadians, or canada? I fear we're witnessing overcompensation for a chauvinistic inferiority streak. ;)

But you are right - they are known as Robertson screws, they are far superior, and saying Square vs Robertson saves two syllables and lops a third off of the word length. So let's just call them square drive screws and call it even.

RicodJour

Gotta love Canada. The hot air emanating from there keeps the Arctic cold from reaching the U.S. ;-)

Reply to
Gort

Those who use them regularly call them a Robbie. Colours (or "colors", if you prefer) are used to distinguish the sizes:

A "red Robbie" is a #2, or if you go by screw size, a #8. A "green Robbie" is a #1, or if you go by screw size, a #6. A "yellow Robbie" is a #0, or if you go by screw size, a #4. A "black Robbie" is a #3, or if you go by screw size, a #10.

Probably the least common, an "orange Robbie" is a #00, or if you go by screw size, a #2.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Square drive and Robertson are not identical. I find Robertson to be superior, but have difficulty getting them these days.

Reply to
Alan

This is actually true. For the name "Robertson" to be used, licencing is involved and certain specs must be followed. Cheap screw driver bits with designations like "S-1", are "square" and not real Robbie bits.

Real Robbie bits have a very slight taper to them that really makes a big difference when it comes to driving the screw.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam