Screwing down subfloor

Hello, I am screwing down some plywood before I begin a tile job. I am uinable to locate the floor joists, as the basement ceiling has been drywalled covering the joists. How am i to screw the sub floor down into the joists if I can't locate them. Is it imperative that I screw into the subfloor? regards Steve

Reply to
Steve W.

It does depend, but I would want it screwed down tight. As I replace carpet and tile I am fixing those squeaks.

Try a good stud finder. It will find them for you.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I think what you mean to ask is "is it imperative that I hit the joists?" the answer to that is NO If you are putting down plywood for tile I'm assuming it is on the floor and not the ceiling. I am also assuming that this is not a NEW sub floor otherwise the joist would be exposed. So that tells me you have a wood floor that you are putting plywood over to do tile on. first of all why plywood and not something like hardibacker? second if you have a sub floor weither you use plywood or hardi you should put coated screws in 12" on center and closer on the joints.

Italian Mason

Reply to
Steve W.

joints.http://palmisanoconcrete.com Procedure for screwing them down? In other words, do holes need to be predrilled & countersunk to prevent that "bump" from forming as you drive a countersink screw into a non-countersunk hole? Or do you sand the 100's of bumps? OP didn't specify what type tile he is setting, but if CVT it will show every irregularity in the plywood,

Reply to
Red

Are there current nails that you can follow?

tom @

Just Joshin

IM is right...you dont' have to hit the existing joist, and keep a

1/8" (or nail width) space around the perimeter

You don't mention it...but don't forget to put a uncoupling layer in between the sub floor and the tile, Schluter's Ditra, cement board, hardi backer bedded in thinset.

Check out the forums over at

boat load of information on tiling, prep and the like, and it seems like a pretty friendly place to as tiling questions.

Reply to
DAC