Screwing Down Backerboad for Tile... (Rant)

Page 2 of 2
Scott Townsend wrote:

inch sticking out on all screws on each piece of backerboard and then countersink them
Thank you all for your replies.
I am using the HardiBacker Cement type board for the floor, 1/2" Its on top of 3/4" T&G Plywood on top of the Manufactured I Beam Joists.
the Screws I've uses are 'special' for the backer board. They are in the Tile section at Home Chepo. Supposed to have some barb type fins on the underside of the head to help counter sync the screws.
They are Philips, and I've either stripped the head or Broken the bit trying to get them counter sunk.
We've used Cordless, and corded Drills. The best was actually a low speed, High tork Right angle drill. Well after predrilling the holes the Makita 18v Cordless was fine.
Thank you again for your replies!

Scott Townsend wrote:

As stated before the best way with hardibacker is to use nails:
http://www.ontariotile.com/cbuhardibacker.html
If you have a really strong drill you might be able to use their recommended screws.
Rich256 wrote:

driven), nailing any Hardi product is an invitation to disaster. home handiperson NEED to stick with screws and pre-drill with a carbide tipped drill bit.
Way to easy to miss the nail and BANG the Harid product, fracturing off the corner, forcing you to remove the product piece entirely and start again.
Pro installers can do this with their power equipment. Folks who have done this over many many jobs can swing a 16oz hammer JUST right to make this happen without damage to the board. The rest of us MUST stick with screws, else we face disaster.
Robert Gammon wrote:

James Hardi product?
Maybe so but I sure could not get those screws to countersink with the equipment I had.
I have laid a lot of it with nails and never had any problem like you describe. The hardest part I thought was to hit it hard enough to keep the head flush and it is one hell of a lot of nails.
In article <MD4yg.180999$mF2.96423@bgtnsc04-

I'd *never* use nails. Screws are far more secure.

Might? I had little problem with my Porter Cable 14.4V drill.
--
Keith.