Screwgun Recommendation

Page 1 of 2
I have an old, but great condition Skil Screwgun model 6906. Great except that the bit holder no longer holds the bit in place. Unfortunately Skil no longer makes any screwgun and needless to say they do not have any parts available for this screwgun. I am therefore looking for a new gun. Harbor Freight's gun looks exactly like the DeWalt screwgun and at $39.99 is tempting to get with the 2 year extended warranty (I overheard some pros talking about buying the HF roofing guns and extended warranty and getting new ones all the time on HF). My other tempting option is a Ridgid R6000 from Home Depot because when I register it I can get a lifetime warranty (VERY tempting). Anybody have any experience with either of these? Thanks.
Mike D.

receipt wasn't adequate. Don't know what the hell they wanted as I chose not to fight this one.
I have one of the great Skil's too if we are talking the same model. It is automatic locking so when you don't give it power it locks the front automatically and you can use it as manual screwdriver. Too bad the batteries are so expensive and don't last.

snipped-for-privacy@notasarian-host.net (Mike Dobony) says...

I picked up a factory reconditioned DeWalt about 10 years ago for about what you would pay for the Harbor Freight clone. It has been trouble- free.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

I am seeing the reconditioned screwguns at HIGHER prices than new ones at Lowes or HD.

I don't see any that use uncollated screws. The collated screws are VERY expensive compared to the loose screws and do not have the variety of styles and sizes available in loose boxed screws (trim screws for instance or pan head).
If you really like the Skil brand gun you have, try here for the part: <http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/noframes.cgi/skil/6906_TYPE_2
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:03:47 GMT, "Mike Dobony"

Finding a reputable one who will do a small job like this and not charge half the price of a new gun is difficult. The charge for setup is more than the cost of the machining. What I need to find is more of a hobbist, not a business.
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:09:01 GMT, "Mike Dobony"

will do that for you. How many do you want done?
NO charge. You pay freight.
Email me off line and we will work it out.
camperkn at yahoo dot com

???????????????? Harbor Freight does NOT have the bit I need. I was asking about the screwgun they have.

On Tue, 1 May 2007 16:37:37 -0500, "Mike Dobony"

My mistake. The machining offer stands.

I have a 1/4 million in capital equipment, how much should I charge?
Seriously, unless you have a friend.......

So, the OP should go there and only be willing to pay a reasonable price, and see if they'll do it. You don't get anywhere if you don't ask. He had sense enough to ask this ng for ideas. He should ask a mahcine shop guy.

This was partly rhetorical. A guy who isn't busy or wants to be a nice guy will charge what he thinks it is worth to the customer if he won't feel put upon doing so.

Welll you shouldn't charge 10,000 dollars. You can't expect to make a year's interest in 10 or 20 minutes.

If you have all this machinery, you don't go to other machine shops and you only know how much you would charge. I've always assumed that things I never bought before cost a lot of money, and I'm often wrong. This included foam rubber, lucite, and welding. The welding guys have thousands of dollars of equipement and a whole shop they own or rent and both of them wanted very little to do a welding job that took at least 20 minutes when one did it. (I priced the welding at one shop next to the place I expected to order the part, but when the time came had it done near where I live.)

I WORKED in a machine shop. A friend is the only option until I have the space and extra money to set up my own hobby machine shop. The lathe in question for the smallest size that would do this job, but not other wished-for projects is about $700 unless I can find one in an estate sale.

Also, when should I ask the machine shop guy? When I loose the price of the gun anyway by taking off work to locate a machine shop that would do this for a reasonable price? I DON'T have any vacation time. I also need it by today, by this morning! Therefore I bought the Ridgid yesterday because of the low torque of the Harbor Freight gun.
Mike D.

Something like that you can probably do while holding the bit in a drill against a grinding wheel and go slowly, dip the end in water frequently.
In other cases, you might be able to drive the shank out of the body far enough to work using a flat end punch and a decent hammer. If it falls out, glue it back in with epoxy.
Aha - look half way down http://www.wihatools.com/700_BitHolders.htm
there you go.
--
Chris Lewis,

If you can get a piece of hardened rod down .070+-.005 on the full length of 0.650" on such a setup AND keep it round you are a master machinist! And NOT water, but cutting oil or coolant, NEVER water! You are NOT a master machinist!

The wall is too thin on that type of bit holder. It must be a single piece of metal to be able to machine it to those dimensions and still last.

There I am with the same thing as the DeWalt, PLUS shipping and handling! From the picture I can tell that the diameter is too large!