Screwdriver Recommendations

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Years ago I would have chosen Sears Craftsman, but times have changes and now we have K-mart Sears and their hand tools are no longer what they once were.
Snap-on would be my choice today.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

The Lowes Kobalt tools are made by Snap-on. Are they the same quality as the regular Snap-on, or a made-to-spec inferior imitation? Any actual experience other than general store opinion?
Bob
Wow! That was quite a response. :)
Thank you all for taking the time to chime in. I truly appreciate it.
-Fleemo
Bob wrote:

The Kobalt tools are gaureented for life and I have several of the phillips head screw drivers that are quite good screw drivers IMHO.
Rich
Bob wrote:

They look good, but I can't really verify their quality.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Bob posted for all of us...

no they are not

Tekkie wrote:

Bob posted for all of us...

Ask Snap-on. The manufacturer may make some tools for the Blue Point line but are NOT manufactured by Snap-on. -- Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Tekkie wrote:

Ok, here's the result of some web searches:
www.moparchat.com/FORUMS/ "Kobalt tool boxes and chests are made by Snap On at their Snap On tool box manufacturing facility in Algona, Iowa. Snap On also makes the Kobalt tools. The Kobalt brand uses different forgings than the Snap On as well as different materials and heat treatments."
www.boltgroup.com/HTML/cool/PressReleases/Kobalt.htm "Lowe's first worked with BOLT starting in 1996 to launch Kobalt Mechanics Tools. Manufactured for Lowe's by Snap-On, Kobalt Tools are recognized for setting new standards in professional quality tools available everyday to all consumers through Lowe's. "
www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/whotools.html "I was reading on your site about 'who makes what tools'. One part explians that the various manufactures use 'the exact same forgings' for all the various brands they sell. This is NOT true for Snap-on tools. Our retail brand Kobalt sold through Lowe's stores, shares very little if any traits with our traditional Snap-on line. They are made in the same plants, but most of the manufacturing tooling is different. They are made by the same UNION skilled machinists useing the same tried and true processes. The designs for these tools are completly different. They use different material and are heat treated differently. Dan Peronto, Tool Designer, Snap-on Tools, Kenosha Mfg Plant
I just had to prove to myself that what I heard was true.
Bob
Bob posted for all of us...

I admit I was wrong. I also asked the Snap-on dealer and he stated what you quoted. He stated that s/o bought the lewis co which has made crapsman tools among others. Specs are different between vendors - like many other products. -- Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Bob wrote:

Kobalt tools used to be made by J.H. Williams, a division of Snap-On. They were made in the same plants but not to the same specifications. See: http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/whotools.html
Now they are made by Danaher, the same company who makes Craftsman sockets and maybe other Craftsman tools. See: http://groups.google.com/group/misc.survivalism/msg/ba5a1c495d9b414b?hl=en &
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Have a look at Lowe's Kobalt line. Good looking, feels right in the hand, and guaranteed forever. Looks the same as the Autozone line which is also guaranteed forever. Used to like Craftsman but they haven't improved the design in 30 years and there are new technologies such as soft-grip handles. Also liked Rigid but they stopped making screwdrivers a year or so ago.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

The best screwdrivers I have ever used are the Wiha Dynamics.
http://www.wihatools.com/511serie.htm
They're not cheap, but I have yet to wear out a tip in ten years. Some of them are getting a little scratched up, but the mating surfaces are still great. They have since come up with other styles such as anti-cam-out. I also have some System 6 tools and precision micro drivers from them. All top-quality stuff. System 6 even has torque-limiting handles available.
-Keith
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Start with a decent brand 4-in-hand or 4 way driver. The bits will cover 95% of your needs, plus you can drop them out and use the empty shaft as a nutdriver. Nothing else will drive a hex-head straight slot sheet metal screw without driving you nuts.
Tips on any straight slot driver should be hollow ground, not tapered. The sides of the hollow ground tip are effectively parallel where they engage the screw, and will not jump out of the screw head as soon as you apply any degree of torque. Taper ground tips can be hollow ground on a bench grinder, however. Either design tip should have its corners ground or filed back to 45 degrees if you intend to use it with flat head wood screws or hinge screws.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I bought the Craftsmam autoloading screwdriver and love it.
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00947380000
On 16 Nov 2006 11:25:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I bought the large set at costco and have been satisfied with them. I've had a lot of Philips screwdrivers in the past that were crap and these ones seem ok. Almost all Phillips wear out over time.
On 16 Nov 2006 11:25:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

For basic screwdrivers, I like kleins. I found Klein screwdrivers sold at Sears under the Craftsman name. Meaning if they fail, if that can happen, it's easy to get a lifetime replacement.
Now for special screwdrivers, like ones with wire nut twisters, I opt for Ideal. Now they are ratching, sweet!
Just my options,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com