Screw extractor

Page 4 of 4
DerbyDad03 wrote:
How much longer are you going to feed this troll ?
--
Snag

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 11:08:45 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Until I get bored of him.
On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 7:27:02 AM UTC-7, Mr Macaw wrote:

Have a set from Snap-On, but have rarely use them. Usually, after drilling thru a busted bolt or whatever, the harden steel extractor breaks off making the problem way worse (time for a carbide bit) The problem comes because the hole ya drilled went off center and into the structure, preventing the proper use of the tool. Extracting busted bolts is an "art" I'd suggest buying a set of "reverse" Cobalt drills. These usually work if you drill straight down thur the "problem" (unless it's hopeless rusted in place)

A bench drill may be helpful I guess. Or several people holding the drill straight.
--
Mrs. Jones is having her house painted, and her husband comes home from work and leans against the freshly painted wall.
The next day, she says to the painter, "You wanna see where my husband put his hand last night?"
On 3/31/2016 10:26 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

They work much of the time, but not perfect. Usually bet to try other means first. Penetrating oil, heat

In every occurrence I've had, I've broken the slot/pz shape on the top of it, so I need to grab it with something other than a screwdriver. But oil and heat aswell is a good idea.
Is penetrating oil flammable?
--
You are the only person I know that has ever had a brain tumour removed from their arse.

Very limited use. If the screw/bolt is seized, which is normally the reason you've twisted it off, the extractor commonly breaks unless you've drilled a large enough hole to practically collapse the screw/bolt anyway. Better to have a good diamond point and round nose chisel, quality drill bits, and taps to correct damaged threads. I'm really leery about cracking an EZ out in a stud, because you just made more work for yourself. Done it more than once. YMMV.