Screw extractor

Here they use a compressor powered torque limited thing which looks like a handheld electric drill. And as for the window, why? I just hang around in the garage where they're working.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why does it have to be that exact? As long you can get it back off, it doesn't come off by itself, and you don't snap the bolt, who cares what the precise number is?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You can distort the rotors.

Reply to
Vic Smith

te:

can apply. That way I know I can apply twice the force to remove them late r.

oesn't come off by itself, and you don't snap the bolt, who cares what the precise number is?

Problems Caused by Improper Torque There are several different issues that lug nuts with an improper amount of torque can cause. The problems can range in severity depending on whether they are over or under tightened and how far the amount of torque deviates from what is required. Some of the most common lug nut related problems are listed below.

Stretched Wheel Studs The wheel studs that the lug nuts attach to are designed to provide a tiny amount of give when being tightened. They may stretch a small amount, but n ot enough to cause any damage when the proper amount of torque is applied. Over-tightening, however, can put too much strain on the wheel studs, weake ning them and causing them to suddenly snap while driving, if not during th e tightening process itself.

Warped Brake Rotors Over-tightening the lug nuts is also a major contributor to warped or damag ed brake rotors. Once the brake rotors are damaged, a vehicle will shake or vibrate upon braking. The problem is even more pronounced when lug nuts ar e tightened unevenly or in the wrong pattern, putting more force on some ar eas of the wheel than others. Depending on the severity, this can be quite dangerous as well as costly to repair. In the worst cases, it becomes diffi cult or impossible to adequately control a vehicle upon braking.

Unbalanced Wheels If lug nuts aren't tightened enough, it can be just as dangerous. A loose w heel will wobble and become unbalanced, and this can cause stress to the wh eel studs, among other issues. The wobbling can eventually loosen all of th e lug nuts until they fall off completely, at which point there would be no thing holding the entire wheel on the vehicle. This can obviously lead to c atastrophic circumstances while driving.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Funny how those never actually happen.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to be

Reply to
philo

Some places use the impact wrenches with different torque tubes (limiters) for the required touque. I think this place does,but gives a final check with the torque wrench.

Most places around here will not let you in the working area. They have a big sign up about the insurance requirements. I don't blame them, I would not want someone looking over me while I was trying to do some work.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Any place with a sign like that wouldn't get my custom.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

But they do. In high school several of us were riding down the road about

45 MPH and a tire passed us. A second or so later the back of the car we were fell down as that was our tire..Good thing it was the back and not the frount tire.

I worked for a while at a place changing tires while in school. A fellow came in saying he had just bought a tire and it was wobbling so bad he could not keep it in the road. The salesman had tried to sell him two radial tires ( they had not been out too long) but the fellow insisted he only needed one tire. The sales man told him it would not work as they would make it difficult to stear if not put on in pairs. While I was putting the other new tire on, I noticed the other tire had loose lug nuts. I tightened them and did not say anything about that to him. At that time there was an impact wrench in the shop that did not work correctly so only snuged the bolts on.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've never heard of that happening, it must be quite rare.

Just a minute, how did it achieve a higher speed than you? Isn't that against the laws of physics?

Tyres. Tires means you're fed up :-P

One radial wouldn't have done that, must have been the loose nuts. I had a Renault once that continually loosened its own nuts. Damn annoying. The only theory anyone came up with was the wheelnuts (they're bolts actually, I've never seen nuts) were a different metal to the wheels and you have to have alloy nuts for alloy wheels or they don't grip.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

te:

I can apply. That way I know I can apply twice the force to remove them l ater.

[...]

Believe what you want. If you don't think that over tightening lug nuts can warp a rotor or stress a lug, you just keep doing doing it your way.

In the meantime, stay away from my vehicles.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'll have to buy a whole bunch of those signs just to keep you away.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maybe you should have torqued them properly.

What are these?

What are these?

I'll tell you this, if the items in the second image loosen up you've got problems. If the items in the first image loosen up you've got *big* problems.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

[...]

Excellent article explaining the different ways that wheels can separate from a vehicle. Pay special attention to the discussion related to "clamping force" and how the proper clamping force is achieved through proper torque.

If you want to see lots of examples of wheels coming off cars, just check out youtube.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Amplification of bad things, only the ones that go t*ts up are filmed and published. Gives the wrong impression of chance.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Only car that did it - therefore French s**te.

Never had a car with either of those. Every single time I've changed a tyre, I take out a BOLT. I don't suppose one is any better than the other. Expect it might be a little easier to put the wheel on if you can hang it on the bolts that are already there, then apply nuts. With wheel bolts, you have to hold the wheel up while you get the first bolt in.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Never throw away a paying customer.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I've owned about 15 vehicles in 19 years, so that's a big enough data set to tell that it's not likely.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

BS

I've fired paying clients more than a few times. Either their demands weren't worth the money they paid me or their demands would only lead to possible liabilities later on. Rather than risk some high paid lawyer saying "You're the expert, you should have known better than to listen to them" I fired them before it came to that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

te:

have threaded

the hub and pop

ch will loosen

T a weakling."

rce I can apply. That way I know I can apply twice the force to remove the m later.

[...]

can warp a rotor or

to tell that it's not likely.

Another idiotic statement. Perhaps you should leave off your tag lines and just use statements like that. They are almost as funny.

Reply to
DerbyDad03