Screens for gutter downspouts

Just about every screen for use at the input of a downspout has a very fine mesh, perhaps blocking debris as small as 1/8", even though such small stuff would pass harmlessly through a typical 2x3" downspout. This causes the screen to clog, preventing the gutters from draining and causing them to overflow.
It seems a better design would be something like in kitchen sink drains use: a large cross that blocks only the stuff big enough to potentially cause a downstream blockage.
Thanks for your comments.
Ray

The ones I use are sort of pear shaped and made from wire, not screen. They catch leaves and pine needles, but not fine silt. You just place them into the downspout inside the gutter.
Same item, but look at the price difference at these two places http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-65696/Detail http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792927536-wedge-downspout-screen.html
This is cheap enough http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-20859/Detail

I use those metal ones you describe, big enough holes to keep balls and birds from falling in but allow small things to pass, now trees here drop alot of small stuff that will clog small screen.

Typically, the problem with gutters is NOT debris entering the downspout. It's debris, usually leaves, filling up the gutters themselves and blocking the downspout opening. Putting a screen at the downspout opening is just going to make it worse. I've never had a problem from the downspout being clogged anywhere other than the opening, which occurs when the gutters already have a lot of leaves in them. Until that point, anything that goes into the downspout, just goes right on through.

Exactly. The downspout is larger than the hole. If the detritus can make it through the hole, it's gonna - go - all - the - way!
Same with kids and pebbles - if they can swallow it, all will be well.

Anyone ever use one of these wedges?

A few years ago I saw a device that you put in as a section of the downspout and it was suppose to direct debris out thru an opening in the side while letting water fall on down the spout. It had an opening that faced the outside away from the house angled screen inside. The idea was that the leaves, twigs, etc. would fall down the spout and hit the angled screen that would direct them out thru the opening. The water would fall straight on down thru the screen.
Anyone recall ever seeing one of these?
Mark

Wasn't that one of those plastic Raingo gimmicks?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792927536-wedge-downspout-screen.html
Ed,
Thanks for the tip on those wedges. I'll give them a try. The second link, that sells them for $12.99 for two, might actually be cheaper than the first one, which may be selling only one for $4.61.
After writing the above, I checked the two sites for shipping. The $4.61 site charges $8.99 to ship it, for a total of $13.60. The $12.99 site charges $5.99 for shipping, for a total of $18.98. So assuming that the first site is selling just one, it is much more expensive that the second site which works out to $9.49 each.
Considering how widely distributed Frost King products are, I'm surprised that neither HD or Lowe's shows the Wedge on their websites.
Ray K wrote:

downspout. no screen is recommended or needed.

In my neighborhood (built in the 1920's), all the downspouts run into the ground and connect to the storm sewer system in the street. So I need to keep stuff out to prevent clogs in the underground long horizontal runs.
I have downspout screens that look like this:
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-screen-strainers-round.gstml
Ken
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The storm sewer needs "roughage," just like your digestive system.
That's why I put grass clippings in the street drain.
Ray K wrote:

through and builds up and causes log jam at input to downspout. Once a year I have to go up to clear at input but previously, I'd have to clean the whole gutter a couple of times a year I think with any of the devices mentioned to filter at input only, you're going to have to clear the gutter occasionally.

Yep, for the gutters that are under a tree, I have to clean 3x or 4x a year for the logjams at the input to the downspout. Other areas not under trees the last I cleaned was maybe 5 years ago.
On May 4, 5:27pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

At my house, I have to clean the whole length of gutters that are under trees, because they get full of leaves. Putting a screen at the downspout would just make it worse. I can see how debris could be an issue if the downspout then lead to an underground piping sytem which could be clogged. But for that, I'd still leave the downspouts without screens, but have a break at the ground level between the end of the downspout and where it enters the underground system and place a screen there. Easier to monitor and keep clean.