Screened Lanai and ducks

This is sort of a weird question, but does anyone have any ideas about how to keep muscovy ducks off of the top of a screened lanai? We love the ducks and don't want to drive them away from the yard or hurt them. They fly onto the top of the lanai and rip the screen due to their weight and the claws on their webs. Is there anything you can treat the screen or metal with that would discourage them from sitting up there?

Reply to
RedRain

You can buy little plastic spike strips that would work or you could hand some netting in a cone shape to keep them off the top?

Muscovey's are kind of neat the missing link between chickens and ducks! No quacks!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Since ripped screens are the problem, why not cover the screen on the top of the lanai with hardware cloth, say 1/2 inch mesh? Then the ducks can sit up there without ripping up the screen.

- Dewolla Stepon

Reply to
Dewolla

They are actually a lot like puppy dogs. They know their names and understand when you say "no" because they've done something bad. They are really quite sweet. Not too bright though:-)

But back to the plastic strips. Would that really stop them--their feet are so tough--they seem to walk on anything.

Reply to
RedRain

I'm not sure how you could attach it other than completely covering the screen. The other problem is that it would probably ruin the effect of the screen appearing to be clear (like there is nothing there at all). It would also block the sun. The screen is over the lanai and pool--we like to swim and lay in the sun. This is a tough one. I think it's our own fault for encouraging the ducks to hang out in our yard by feeding them. They don't seem to be sitting on other lanais, though they do like roofs.

Reply to
RedRain

If you put up some netting straight up would that stop them from landing on the top?

Or if you put a fairly coarse netting up in a pyramid shape would that stop them since it was on an angle?

My ducks were so fat they could not fly, maybe you should just feed them more!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne