screen porch standing water

hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch.. when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner to drain.. any one know a better way?? thanks Jack

Reply to
jackfaulds

What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood, here's my concern:

If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot fairly soon.

What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a problem under the porch?

Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water from entering the porch in the first place.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

thanks, it is a ground floor, poolside porch, with tile floor, and alumiun around as frame... and after the last few days of heavy rain, it was as deep as the bottom soport, about an inch, and an area 4 squair tiles... I know water will get in, but it cant be good to have standing water for days on grout and stuff....

Reply to
jackfaulds

I'd be even more concerned about drilling through the tile, exposing the adhesive and subfloor to moisture. It might be possible to drill a hole large enough for a drain of some type, complete with pipe, so that the water never hits the subfloor. You'd need to seal around the top of the drain so the water only went into it, not under it, but it would be doable.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

Reply to
jackfaulds

I can't see it from here, so I can't comment on your proposed solution. Perhaps a picture or 2 might help.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Does the aluminum have weep holes on outside? If so, I would cut slots opposite those on the inside. Any chance you have weep holes inside and they are just plugged or blocked by the screen frame? Sliding door or just stationary screens?

Reply to
Norminn

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

dont know what weep holes are, but there are no holes in it plugged, i am thinking of doing what oren sez..

Reply to
jackfaulds

A weep hole; like a drain, similar to tear duct in the eye.

Drill from the inside, just at or above tile level - towards the outside at a 45* down angle.

I "sez" what I sez and I'll sez it again.

-- Oren

Oren

Weep holes are holes in the side of the track for windows and doors so that rain water drains out rather than standing in the track.

Reply to
Norminn

Screen houses in florida have screen roofs, sides...it's all screen and normally on a concrete slab. In theory, all one can do is drill weep holes either through the very bottom edge of the aluminum or the concrete next to it. I tried drilling through the concrete....flowers grew up through them. Best to bend the bottom edge of aluminum up a tad or drill holes through the aluminum. .

Reply to
MARVIN Huber

I didn't know anyone had Usenet in 1345. Was this in the new world or England? I presume southern England, since it says bellsouth. Now that's a station on the Liverpool line, but I don't think they had trains then.

Most porches are made of stone. I don't know how you will drill through one. Best to have your serfs build you another one.

Reply to
micky

replying to jackfaulds, BBear wrote:

the video out here, cutting holes like these others suggest will allow bugs in!

Reply to
BBear

replying to jackfaulds, Neal Hilliard wrote: Yes, you can drill through the aluminum to drain the water. It's aluminum it want rust or hurt it on the inside. Only drawback is bugs and reptiles now have a path into your lanai. If you take a piece of screen and get some good water resistant adhesive and cut a piece an inch larger than your hole on the 3 sides and stick it on. Either way coversed or not the holes get clogged screened or not and will need to be cleaned out with a water hose every so often. But with the screen at leadt no bugs, snakes, or lizards can get in. I'd drill at least a 1/2" hole as low as you can get it then take a chisel and split the lower piece if one remains. Take a punch aND tap the 2 pieces inward on the inside and on the out side use the chisel to cut them off and file the edges if your worried about sharp edges. I would screen both holes if it where me. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Neal Hilliard