screen porch standing water

hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch.. when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner to drain.. any one know a better way?? thanks Jack

What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood, here's my concern:
If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot fairly soon.
What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a problem under the porch?
Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water from entering the porch in the first place.

thanks, it is a ground floor, poolside porch, with tile floor, and alumiun around as frame... and after the last few days of heavy rain, it was as deep as the bottom soport, about an inch, and an area 4 squair tiles... I know water will get in, but it cant be good to have standing water for days on grout and stuff....

I'd be even more concerned about drilling through the tile, exposing the adhesive and subfloor to moisture. It might be possible to drill a hole large enough for a drain of some type, complete with pipe, so that the water never hits the subfloor. You'd need to seal around the top of the drain so the water only went into it, not under it, but it would be doable.

I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

I can't see it from here, so I can't comment on your proposed solution. Perhaps a picture or 2 might help.
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:38:05 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net"

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

dont know what weep holes are, but there are no holes in it plugged, i am thinking of doing what oren sez..
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:41:52 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net"

A weep hole; like a drain, similar to tear duct <sp> in the eye.
Drill from the inside, just at or above tile level - towards the outside at a 45* down angle.
I "sez" what I sez and I'll sez it again.
-- Oren

Weep holes are holes in the side of the track for windows and doors so that rain water drains out rather than standing in the track.
replying to DerbyDad03, MARVIN Huber wrote:

Screen houses in florida have screen roofs, sides...it's all screen and normally on a concrete slab. In theory, all one can do is drill weep holes either through the very bottom edge of the aluminum or the concrete next to it. I tried drilling through the concrete....flowers grew up through them. Best to bend the bottom edge of aluminum up a tad or drill holes through the aluminum. .
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:44:01 +0000, MARVIN Huber

I didn't know anyone had Usenet in 1345. Was this in the new world or England? I presume southern England, since it says bellsouth. Now that's a station on the Liverpool line, but I don't think they had trains then.

Most porches are made of stone. I don't know how you will drill through one. Best to have your serfs build you another one.

Does the aluminum have weep holes on outside? If so, I would cut slots opposite those on the inside. Any chance you have weep holes inside and they are just plugged or blocked by the screen frame? Sliding door or just stationary screens?
replying to jackfaulds, BBear wrote: http://www.poolcageplus.com/lanaidrain.html check the video out here, cutting holes like these others suggest will allow bugs in!