Screen doors?

We're looking to install screen doors on our house near Santa Fe, NM.
Any experience with the vinyl-frame screen doors Home Depot (etc) sells? These are attractive, lightweight and reasonably-priced, but I have no idea how vinyl holds up. We live in a windy, sunny area.
Alternatively, HD sells a heavy wood-frame screen door for around $170. These have pine rails about the thickness of a typical (solid wood) interior door, and look well-made. Do they hold up?
Any other thoughts on screen doors appreciated. This is a traditional stuccoed-adobe house, so aluminum doors wouldn't do.
How about the retractable "invisible" screens? Any comments on these?
TIA & Cheers -- Pete Tillman Santa Fe
--
> Just becuae you misees the point of the article lady, don;t think it
> is not irrelevant. --'Lazarus Cain', to Dorothy J Heydt, rasfw 6/7/04
Check out Pella screen doors at Lowes or a Pella store. Also they have neat invisible screens that roll away when not in use probably only at a real Pella store and not Lowes. Lowes only has the lower end Pella stuff. I just had a Pella sliding door put in with a invisible screen and it is neat but an animal could force itself out the screen so don't figure on an invisible screen if you are using it to keep a dog or cat in.

Trust me. They will NOT stop a dog that is intent on going outside and dueling with the street sweeper.
STeve

We have a HomeDepot "Forever" Screen Door. We bought the white vinyl one with the full length screen/glass.
We have had it for about 4 years. The Vinyl has held up fine with no problems. Overall we are happy with the door except for one annoying thing. The lever style handle has a lifetime guarantee on the brass finish. About a year and a half ago, we noticed that the brass finish was all worn off, scratched up and looking generally awful. We called the manufacturer, and they sent us a replacement lever handle, so we were happy. Fast forward to now (1 1/2 years later)...the handle is all scratched up and the finish is worn off again. Sigh. I need to call and have them send another one. It has absolutely no bearing on the functionality of the door, but it just looks bad.
Tracey in CT

We have had one of these for about 8 years. I finally did toss out the screen section though because we never used it. Just something that the dog and cats would have torn anyhow.

Mine is looking a bit worn also but I never thought to see about replacing it. I need to get out my paper work and see about contacting the company and get a replacement. thanks for the suggestion!

So -- it's holding up OK otherwise? I'm supposing you painted it to match, paint sticking well to vinyl? Would you buy it again?
TIA & Cheers -- Pete Tillman
--
HR Giger's neogothic furniture: http://www.hrgiger.com/gegauf/loft.htm
Triple-skull Harkonnen capo chair:

I never painted mine. Its a brown color although they call it bronze. They do have a spray paint specifically for these doors though. I painted all my window screen frames the same color to match. I would definatly buy again of need be. I have one on my back door also.
Had a wood screen door and hated it - the cycle of wet/dry/cold/hot warped it until with didn't fit the doorway anymore. Replaced it with a vinyl clad screen door and have never regretted that decision.