Screen door slams - AFTER adjusting a NEW closer... Now what?

A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming, even after adjustment.
No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door. SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in and slows the door to a crawl.
Any thoughts?
bryan wrote:

wish I had your problems... I can't find a closer strong enough to close my storm door against the air pressure between it and the main door. Every day I come home to find it open after the mailman has opened it and left the mail...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

That was actually discussed on here before. They apparently sell a little butterfly valve thing that pops open as the door closes, to vent the overpressure. Me, I'd just drill a couple small holes, top and bottom. I may do that anyway. My front door faces west- you could cook in the glassed-in space. Room side of the door gets hot to the touch. Any color other than white for the main door, is out of the question. Keep meaning to take the glass panel into the window shop, and get some of that reflective stuff put on it. Maybe have them make me a screen the same size while I am there, for the two warm weeks a year I can leave the doors open without setting off my allergies.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Funny you should mention that. I had some screens made last year, and since yesterday was the first weekend day this year that a) I was home b) the temperature outside was comfortable and c) it wasn't raining, I put the screen in and left the front door open.
By 6 PM I had a screaming (sinus?) headache and actually I have only started to feel better in the past few hours. Was only half-asleep most of the night...
Now this may be attributable to the fact that I cleaned and Scotchgarded the interior of my car yesterday, or that I used Diesel fuel to clean the tar off the insides of a set of Porsche wheels, or any number of other things I did yesterday involving various hydrocarbons, aromatics, or combinations thereof. But I suspect that it is actually good old steamy plant sex that's setting my head off, something that hasn't happened to me in a decade or more... :(
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Probably defective new one.

Yeah. Every repair that takes an hour really takes eleven hours.
bryan wrote:

Hi, My door has two closers(top and bottom). It closes smooth as butter, LOL!
bryan wrote:

I'd pull the pin attaching the cylinder to the door, then extend it and see how it retracts. If it won't behave, you can demonstrate it where you bought it and maybe test the replacement before you buy it.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:21:53 -0700 (PDT), bryan

I now have your problem but first had the opposite one. The door just wouldn't close enough. I already had it set to pull as much as possible and figured that I'd have to move the attachment on the wall a half inch or so back from the door to provide more leverage.
So I disconnected it, and got one screw out and the drill broke! It's only three months old so back it goes, but I decided to just leave the door until I get it replaced.
I reconnected it, and now the door slams! I made NO adjustment other than getting that one screw out (I'm talking those four long screws that hold the closer to the wall). The cotter pins went back the same way, I didn't turn the adjuster at all, I didn't change the connector positioning on the door itself. Just magic as far as I can tell.
Well, I don't mind it slaming a bit. At least it's closing now.
Remove the door. Take to the dump or just throw it in your neighbor's yard.