Screen door Leak cold air -Adjustment?

I am trying to fix our screen door (storm door). I has shifted over the last 30 year, and is letting lost of cold air in. At the top corner it tight against the frame weather striping seal, but at the bottom there is a big gap (letting cold air in). Can an aluminum metal door warp over time? Can it be adjusted?

Reply to
lbbs

Wood does funky things over time and in response to big swings in humidity -- and pretty much every door in America rests on a wood frame. Wood expands and contracts, and during the winter, it tends to contract. Most aluminum storm doors have a removeable strip of rubber weatherstripping at the bottom. Check at the hardware store to see if they have weatherstripping that is wider than what you have and replace the old strip with the new strip. BUT -- do not toss out the old strip, because the new one will probably become too wide (and prevent the door from closing like it should) when the seasons change and your door frame wood starts expanding. Pop in the old strip of weatherstrip (but keep the new strip to replace the old one again for when/if your storm door starts getting funky again next winter) and you'll probably be hunky dory.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

I forgot to mention in my previous post that, if the hardware store doesn't have a wider replacement weatherstrip, then do what the rest of us cheap-asses do in cases like this for the very short term until spring comes, by doing some redneck insulating by cutting out a strip of box cardboard and duct-taping the cardboard to the bottom of the storm door tight enough to keep out the wind. It ain't pretty, but it works until there ain't no more freezing air blowing in and the kinder weather of springtime naturally rights your door.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott