screeching garage door

Page 2 of 2
"Bonnie Jean" wrote

That would be the way to start. Just use an old rag and some of that. Takes about 5 mins. If that doesnt work, take a look at the roller assembly and see if it looks easy to get at with the door closed without dismounting anything. If so, it's real easy to do with some models. Did ours when we got back after the place had been rented for 7 years. Took me 10 mins with *our* model and I didnt need any help.
If it isnt an easy assembly and the grease doesnt work, call either the rental agency or owner (depends on which you have) and tell them about it. It could mean the door is getting out of alignment and thats lots easier and cheaper to fix at the start than after a long time.
If you take it on yourself and it's not an easy assembly sort and you damage the door, they can charge you for repairs under most contracts, so it's best to call first if doing more than greasing it. There is also a very good chance they will refund you the cost of any materials if they know in advance (even that tube of grease).
My tenants would call the rental agent, let him know of small items like that, then when the rent came up, they would include the recipt and deduct the total (including tax) from the rent. Anything normal was expected and part of our contract that we'd cover such with advance notice to the rental agent. Even if it hadnt been spelled out in the contract, we'd have been good for it.
Paid 2 times for screen material for the fully screened porch which is reasonable. Paid once to have it scraped and painted by a handyman (reasonable, it's all wood and that came with screen material too so I think they had the handyman do it).
The only thing I turned down, was to have a new screen door put in when they broke the catch 1 month after moving in. The screen door had been freshly installed just before they got there. I did pay to have a handyman replace the catch though as it is slightly tricky and I wanted it to be done right.
Check your contract? Each is a little different. For example, we spelled out that the only covered appliances were the HVAC and hot water heater. All else was theirs to use for free but if they broke, replacement/repair wasnt covered. This is common in *my* area. Appliances were: new refridgerator (4 months old), dishwasher, disposal, gas oven, washing machine and dryer, large extra chest freezer, 2 lawnmowers, a vacumn cleaner, 2 weed wackers, and a few electric tools. If they broke and had to be replaced, they got to keep the replacement. Most of it was still here and in working order when we got back.
Add pictures here
✖
in addition to the other suggestions, make sure the springs (or rollers on the end of the springs) are not rubbing on the horizontal part of the track.

✖
And the pulleys at the ends of the springs and above the doors are in good shape.
In my own instance, I had to replace those as well. In fact, I believe that the only parts I reused were the door panels, hinges, tracks, and springs. Everything else had to be replaced (the cables were pretty fubared as well.) Of course the door had been sorely neglected by the POs but stuff like that is how you get a house for cheap.
If you have to go that far, however, I'd definitely save receipts and see if you can get some reimbursement from your landlord.
nate
On Dec 8, 11:44 am, "Steve Barker DLT"

Add pictures here
✖
Bonnie Jean wrote:

that. Lube may not improve the metal to metal friction, not for long anyway, and if that garage door is getting out of whack it can become dangerous...
Add pictures here
✖

Vaseline will work just fine if you don't feel like tripping out to the hardware store, white lithium grease would be my choice from an auto parts or larger hardware and you can get it in a spray can.
Add pictures here
✖

vaseline turns to rock hard goo after awhile, oil or grease is cheap and available.
do not use vaseline!
Add pictures here
✖
on 12/8/2008 7:58 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

The Vaseline Petroleum Jelly I put on my unheated attached garage's door tracks and bearings has been there for years. Temps around here can be below freezing in the winter and into the 90s (F) in the summer. It is in the same state of viscosity as when first applied.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Cheaper than grease? Save up ear was and rub that in the track.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:44:43 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"

First tighten up all the bolts and carefully inspect all parts. Make track adjustments so that the wheels don't bind. You didn't say if you have a garage door opener or not, but some need a special grease. You can use a little heavy grease on wheels and track, but that is a bandage approach if wheels are not riding smoothly.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for all your responses.
I'll take a closer look at it but will probably try WD40 and if that quiets it, get the lithium grease.
✖

start with lithium, contrary to popular belief WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a drying agent.
Add pictures here
✖