Scratches and Dents out of pine?

I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine? Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

why not just sand it? water/ steam will help take the dents out , since pine swells quite a bit when it gets wet

Reply to
longshot

Steam will get out a dent, but a gouge is a different scenario. Steam will take the compressed dented material and allow it to expand back to the original space. If it is gouged and material is removed, you won't get very good results.

I'd probably plane it or run it through the planer but I do woodworking as a hobby and most homeowners don't have those tools. Maybe you know someone that does? Two light passes will dress it up nicely.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

He'll have to do both: The steaming will help reduce the dents, but if they're deep, they can't be lifted entirely, and the steaming process will also raise the grain, so the wood has to be re-sanded anyway.

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
Phil Munro

Thanks Phil - This is what I want to hear. Zar Wood Patch. I will get some today. Where? Lowes? Walmart? Ace? That is all I want to do - make a smooth table top - stain it - clear finish it. Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

We get our Zar products at a particular (paint products) store here in Youngstown. Also, you should read wood patch cans carefully to find some patch which says it will take stain. Then, of course, you could experiment on a scrap of wood to see how well it works. --Phil

Reply to
Phil Munro

Reply to
nospambob