scraping/removing oil-based paint from under latex-based paint?

In 2000 I scraped away paint from my kitchen, did an incomplete job, and 6 years later have bubbles and slight cracks. I would like to do a better job in my living room. I have a layer of latex-based paint done by the previous homeowners that, in 2006, has cracked and flaked badly. I wanted to scrape down as far as possible to paint the living room.

Can anyone recommend a process (or product!) to make this easier. Is there a home fixit site that details this process. Links are great. I did a search and came up sort of empty.

I have an 80+ year old house with plaster walls.

Everything this group has mentioned in the past has been great, btw.

Don

Reply to
bbcrock

I would scrape all the loose stuff and use an oil primer. Then do your mud work and whatever other surface prep. Prime the mud work with flat latex and do finish coat.

Reply to
Hopkins

scrape really good. roughen everywhere!!!! fill all holes and big cracks with drywall mud, it drys slower than patching plaster and is easier to use

Then prime with bin or kilz primer sealer, that will help adhesion... wait a few days then skim coat everything with drywall mud, use a brush to give it a slightly textured finish that will hide imperfections:)

Try a single wall first and try it! It worked wonders here, before we bought this house the walls were damaged and never fixed properly from a bathtub intentinally left running, they were being evicted.

you would never know this occured!

Reply to
hallerb

Don't forget that the old paint probably contains lead.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

after you clean and scrape and sand and have a drywall/plaster repair guy come in and make your surfaces look like new: here's how we paint: buy the blue masking tape it peels off after the paint dries. hang clear plastic across every doorway after removing furniture. add worklights and more worklights until you need sunglasses. add a radio. add a window fan for air changes as needed.

  1. we wash the walls with SPRAY NINE to remove smoke and dirt.
  2. ceilings we like to clean after the walls are washed with spray nine and DOW SCRUBBING BUBBLES foam.
  3. we prime with KILLZ 2 latex primer, let dry overnight, repeat coat.
  4. we paint with the best SEMI-GLOSS WHITE INTERIOR LATEX, let dry overnight, repeat coat.
Reply to
buffalobill

So what if I scraped the new paint off, then sealed it with either an oil-based or latex-based primer? Sounds like that works as a sealant... Kids are in the house, but passed their lead tests.

Don

Reply to
bbcrock