scraping linoleum glue from brick

I have a brick entry that's buried under 2 layers of sheet vinyl. The sheet vinyl peals up very easily -- it was probably adhesive backed. But it leaves its backing paper and glue behind on the brick. The brick is some kind of non-porous type that has some kind of glaze or sealer. Am I going to damage the surface if I use a manual scrapper? What's the alternative, heat gun and/or goof-off?

Reply to
crabshell

The heat gun might get you there,marks that are left might just come off with brick cleaner [acid] in old money,it's called FEB CLEAN now it's worth a try. ps/ follow the ACID and WATER ratios on the container,sometimes it looks like nothing is happening give it time.Twenty to Thirty mins normally,if there is no sign of progress then up the dose not before.

Reply to
*GED*

If it is partly paper, I would try a scrubbrush wet with water and maybe soap.

Let the paper soak up the water for 10 minutes. I am pretty sure boar bristle brush will do less damage than nylon. Use a stiff bristle brush if softer doesn't work.

I wouldn't start with something as strong as goof-off. Isn't that specifically for latex paint, which has nothing to do with this? What about WD-40 if water doesn't work. That won't damage anything, but it may make some glues dissolve. Later you can wash up with soap and water.

I would try as many as a lot of things on little areas until I found one that worked well. Do you have a hall closet with the same floor? I would do all this testing in the closet.

If I used any scraper, I'd use a plastic one. They sell plastic putty knives and mud/spackle spreaders of various widths.

Another thought is to not take off all the bad stuff, except for what comes up easily. Walk on it for a few months and vacuum periodically, and it will come off by itself. What hasn't come up when you lose patience will be far easier to get off. I don't think you can grind it in any more than it is now, since it's been walked on for years.

You have your whole life to damage this floor. Lets start with the most gentle methods.

Reply to
mm