Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:43:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yeah, but they saved the cost of the test to see if they needed *any* fertilizer.
All in all it is a pretty good lesson learned all around.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

I've _NO_ confidence there's been any learning, unfortunately...certainly little if any indication of it, anyway. :(
✖
On Jul 2, 11:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

Just calibrate it dont junk it. But why are you using a drop unit for that much land, or maybe you are not it is a rotary unit, are you sure its not rotary, my cheapo scotts rotary does near 4x as much in one pass as a drop unit, so I walk 75% less. I called scotts to calibrate mine as it came set to high [ Scotts makes alot more money this way] Best is calibrate and underfeed always, that "scotts system" of a bag a season is unessary in my opinion for most. Actualy for many, and me, lawn treatments are a scam. Best is mulch grass, and mulch leaves and you are fertilised and done, You still didnt remove the house and everything else from your sq ft figures.
Add pictures here
✖

"that much"?? 50x100 is a *small* lot.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 3, 9:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

For a drop spreader its alot, a rotary scotts will only need 25% the walking and be easier to get even work.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

Time you take out the house, driveway and other non-lawn areas there won't be enough space left of that lot to get a full head of steam up to get the rotary to spin and half the product will end up either in the street, on the neighbor's yard or the driveway.
You could effectively fertilize/seed/whatever that area w/ hand casting by the time you got the spreader filled.
✖
MICHELLE H. wrote:

Well, there ya' go...
1A --> 43,460 sq-ft (5280^2/640) * 0.11 --> 4,360 ft^2 for the entire lot, less the house, plantings, driveway, etc., etc., etc., ...
That's well over double the suggested rate...

✖
On Jul 2, 9:10 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

So you applied about DOUBLE the recommended amount. No wonder you burned it.
If you're so damned concerned about your lawn the least you could do is some research on how many square feet are in an acre so you know how much you should be applying.
You've got two choices: 1. Leave it alone and it will grow back. 2. Dig it all up and start over.
It's up to you. Just be aware that the lawn will green up in a couple of weeks on its own. If you dig it all up, it will look like hell for the REST OF THE SUMMER.
Add pictures here
✖

Like others said, here is the problem.
Take out the footprint of the house & driveway, you almost tripled the application rate.
Add pictures here
✖
Cabot wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
MICHELLE H. wrote:

OOPS! One acre is 43,560 sq. ft. Multiplied by 0.11 gives 4791. You gave the lawn a double dose, it appears. The 0.11 acres is the LAWN, not the lot size, right?
Add pictures here
✖
    Is it possible that you got a product intended for another part of the country? You might not know because who you purchased it from may have many locations and the product may have been fine for the grass types in some areas where they have locations, but not yours.
Add pictures here
✖