Scotts Lawn Service

Has anyone had any experience with Scotts Lawn Service?

Good...bad...ho hum...?

TIA

Reply to
Bill Reynolds

Where? This is probably a franchised business and the service level might vary tremendously from one franchise operator to another.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Marietta GA

Reply to
Bill Reynolds

Oddly, I live in Marietta, GA.

Small world. Can't tell you anything about Scott's though...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Like any other lawn service. They sell stuff you likely don't need. Check with your local county extension office and work with them on a plan for your lawn and then take that plan to the various services around to see who will follow the plan and what will they charge. If they try to tell you that the plan is no good and that you need to follow their plan tell them to take a hike, without your money going with them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Maybe try calling the company, get the local company that will come out and ask them if they can give you some references of happy customers in your immediate area. Then call those customers. Then try calling the BBB in your are and see what they have to say (or look it up here on the internet) It really wont require that much work on your part. Just some phone calls. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It will probably vary from place to place but let me tell you from where I am in the suburbs of Houston, Texas. My neighbor across the street used them and neighbor next door uses ChemLawn. Neither looks as good as mine and 2 other neighbors and I think we all use our own fertilizer and spread it ourselves. And I speak for about 2 years in duration so far. About 15 years or so I used ChemLawn for my trees at my old house and it did help. About 5 years ago I used them for my present house on the lawn only for about 2 years in duration or so and I could not see much difference from when I started with them and my lawn was/is watered routinely by an underground sprinkler system. When I told ChemLawn to end their services I was paying about $43 / application and I recall them renegotiating the price at $38.. 35 and finally $30 per application. I'm not kidding. I realized then that perhaps they could lower their price so much because they over dilute their chemicals to the point where it does little good. Anyway, I won't use them or any other similar service unless it's for a special application. But as I said, you area may be different but that's just my opinion and experience from where I am.

Reply to
mad hatter®

We have gotten bids only from a couple of services (Florida). Expensive, want to sell us stuff we don't need. If you want to pay for maximum maintenance and chemical use, go for it. When my parents had contractor do regular fertilizer/pest control, you could be inside the house with windows closed and almost be overcome by fumes from malathion.

A lot of the increased grass growth will give you good exercise in more frequent mowing :o) We all now have some amount of pesticide chemicals in our blood, so it is past time to think seriously about dumping more chemicals on the ground and into the water supply.

Using the right methods of fertilizing, mowing and watering will give you a lawn that doesn't need regular pest control. Treat as needed, according to pest and label instructions. There are studies that show higher cancer rates in affluent neighborhoods that use such services :o)

Folks who whine about second-hand smoke in the park go home in their gas-guzzlers, pop some poison on those nasty ants in the yard, dust the roses with neurotoxins and enjoy the mild breeze that blows the stuff back in their face, then sit down and enjoy a fire in the fireplace that pollutes the whole neighborhood :o) That stack of firewood in the yard is full of termites, so I best remember to dump some poison on it tomorrow :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I forgot:

Norminn

i am having SCOTT come out and give me a free inspection with recommendations for future care. the east side of this house is full of CREEPING CHARLEY!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Well said Norminn!

MG

Reply to
MG

Broadleaf herbicide, hose-end sprayer. One application will probably get most of it, then spot treat.

Reply to
Norminn

Too true. I fight this battle with my wife all the time. Like not letting my son sit and play on the lawn after I fertilize. Really pisses me off. I may have to switch to milorganite.

I fertilize myself. I use scotts fertilizer. I follow their color coded plan. I don't have problems with weeds really, except when the city comes by to replace a patch they screwed up...

I hate poisons. You know these companies don't care about people but only money. So if they put _hazardous_ on the label, you know they were forced too so you had better respect it.

That being said, I find the scotts fertilizer itself to cause a deep greening within 3-5 days of application. It lasts about 2 weeks. This is how I can tell I didn't get an even spread of the stuff down. And I go over those missed areas as soon as they show thelselves. Indeed I have to have it cut more with frequent fertilization.

My cousin uses their lawn 'service.' Lawn looks about the same. And I think it costs about the same as my buying these bags from Lowes. Of course my lawn is probably 4x as big as his.

Reply to
dnoyeB