scooter

I found a small, gasoline-power scooter in the woods near my house I called the police, and a car came prettyi quickly, and because it doesn't have a VIN, the patroleman wasn't interested. i said, "Well, even if doesn't have a VIN, I would think the owners want it back." But he said if I didn't want it, they'd take it to a yard where it woudl sit for months and if it didn't run, they'd junk it.
It doesn't run.
Micky wrote :

Micky, You left out the most important bit of information.....who is the manufacturer of that scooter?
Eagle brought next idea :

BTW...you might find this useful.
http://www.cyclepedia.com/motorcycle-vin-decoder/