Sconce lighting

A quick question about sconce lights. In general, do they provide less overall lighting to a room than an overhead light of the same wattage?
The headspace in my basement is very limited and I was considering using sconce lights rather than take up the extra space needed for overhead lighting. Yes recessed lighting is an option, but for now let's just focus on the sconce lights.
Eigenvector wrote:

Yes.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Yes recessed lighting is an option, but for now

And since both recessed and sconce lighting usually HIDES the actual light source, you compensate for the lower efficiency by using very efficient light sources which usually turns out to be flourescent for recessed and compact flourencent for the sconce.
In the case of the sconce you use the BIGEST CF "bulb" than can fit in the fixture. If there is a dimmer on the circuit either remove the dimmer or look for "dimable" CF "bulbs."

Yes, but...
In my low ceiling (7' 6") basement I put in fluorescent coves, (very long sconces.) They bounce light off the ceiling and make for a softer feeling with fewer shadows. Using long tube fluorescents I can have very high effieciency at the fixture so I can afford to lose some in the distribution.
Also "where the light is", is far more important to vision than how much light you have. Recessed can give you a very bright floor or table but a dark ceiling. Standard design principals recommend a mix of types, especially if you have a mix of uses.
Richard Reid, LC Luminous Views
Eigenvector wrote:

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:55:11 -0700, "Eigenvector"

imho:
The sconce lights I put up around my mantal provide nice 'indirect' light. It gives a 'glow' to the room without being overbearing, which makes me think they don't make the room as bright as if I had a directly illuminating light like recessed lights.
Might want to try using a lamp first, then deciding how to light the area.
good luck, and please fill us in on what you did later,
tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com