Schlage lock question

Schlage F61 V GEO 619 house door lock - double knob, keyed outside.
It includes a sleeve a half inch long. This is put on the bolt mechanism. Remove mounting bracket, slide on sleeve, replace bracket. Except that I can't seem to remount the bracket with the sleeve in place. I finally gave up and removed the sleeve, reassembled bolt with bracket and installed the lock.
Anyone have any idea what the sleeve is for? Some security device? Everything seems to work without it. I've locked, unlocked, etc. with and without key multiple times.
TIA

From the instruction sheet:
"Sleeve is not required if the latch hole is 7/8" (22mm)"
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in writes:

You evidently have a different instruction sheet.
I read my very brief sheet yesterday evening again and I'm figuring now that you can use either the bracket or the sleeve depending on the door. So I did good! So excuse me, my question is now invalid.