Scaffolds, ladders, painting a tall foyer

I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On the wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and get access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something. I have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks and the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But I'm stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks. Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

I have a 22' Little Giant ladder. It makes things such as what you're doing trivial and is far easier than setting up scaffolding.

RicodJour

Not sure of orientation but why can't put the ladder on the stairs (tying off the bottom to make sure it doesn't slip) and work from top down?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Look into renting a "pick board". You would build a scaffold at the bottom of the stair tall enough to access the ceiling. Build a corresponding scaffold at the top of the stair. Span the pick board between them. Here is an example:

If they are available, get 2 so you have a larger deck to work from.

I need to point out that this will not make an OSHA approved assembly with regard to toe board/ guard rail/ fall protection.

DanG

Broom handle on a roller ?

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Don't go so cheap! Buy a decent (read; professional) roller extension. I have three of 'em, 18"-3', 3-6', and 5-10'. A busted brrom handle in the middle of a job sucks! It's also easier to paint with en extension (two hands at waste/chest level is much easier than one overhead).

Reply to
keith

You said you have scaffolds. Why can't you use a scaffold?

Reply to
trader4

Okay, now I'm lost. You already have a ladder that deals easily with stairwells, so why are you looking for an alternative?

RicodJour

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Some suggest an extension ladder with one leg that can be shortened and lengthened. You adjust it so one leg is on one step, and the other leg on the next lower step. I've never been able to bring myself to trust one of them, but I know people do use them.

My suggestion would be go get hold of an extension plank; one end goes on a step, the other goes to a hanger on a ladder, or to your scaffolding, since you already have that. You walk the plank and paint with ease. You may have seen exterior painters using these with two ladders.

If this is a narrow room, have fun try> I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow

Reply to
William Brown

I have heard them referred to as a pickboard, but I just call them a plank.

Well, looking on the bright side, it's good exercise going up and down ladders all day.

6-8' feet between supports is not unusual, but that depends on the quality of the wood and what condition it is in. If you have more than a little bit to do, one of those aluminum telescoping planks is a good thing to have. The one I saw recently at HD expands from 8-13' and is rated for 250 pounds. They're about $125, give or take, stiffer than a 2x and easier to move around. R
Reply to
RicodJour

****
****

I have seen this referred to (perhaps here) as a "pick walk". Unless that was a typo I am very interested in how it got such a name.

I am painting my house and was tempted to do this between two six foot step ladders for the lower part of the second story of a split level, but decided it was too dangerous and have scaled the collapsed extension ladder repeatedly getting about 3 feet left and 3 feet right then repeat..... :-)

I could not imagine an unsupported walk board of 2 x 12 being much over 4 feet between the ladders and that it would considerably bow even at that length with me in the middle. (I am about 170lbs) What kind of board do you use?

FACE

Reply to
FACE