SawStop New Table Saw Safety Technology

I haven't heard this about airbags and seatbelts that I can remember, but I definitely heard that all-wheel drive or ABS had resulted in people driving faster.
This is not to say I'm against safety devices. Although I am against seat belt laws for adults, but not because I think seatbelts are unsafe.
"Ban food with transfat. Prevent deaths from second-hand fat."
On Mar 1, 8:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

Far as I know, nothing is foolproof. The manufacturer makes that clear on their web site. If your hand is moving fast when you hit the blade, you will get damaged. At normal speed the cut would be about 1/16" deep. Replacing the blade and the brake ain't gonna be cheap, but I guarantee that it's less than the emergency room visit. The wet wood would still have a substantially different conductivity/ capacitance than wood. There's far more water in flesh than in even the wettest wood (I don't mean wood that's been rained on, and I'm not sure how PT saturated wood would work - the chemicals might change the wood conductivity substantially).

When the saw cut through the glove and hit your finger, then it would trigger. Shouldn't be a problem - unless the glove gets snagged and pulls your hand towards the blade.
As far as the second part, do you find yourself taking dangerous risks because your car has seat belts and air bags? Regardless of the technology, the wet ware that hits the on switch is still the biggest potential problem.

there's an issue of Wood Magazine that had an article on this product.Pictures too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Okay, so your are a hyperactive dolt. What else can you offer? Please stick to facts.
CWM
Finding the keyboard operational Charles Schuler entered:

You should do a bit of research before you post. Sawstop has been around for a few years. So far there hasn't been anyone injured as far as I know. Technology keeps moving ahead. Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Tell you what: why don't you use Google to find out a little bit about the SawStop. It does, in fact, cut wood just find -- and stop in an instant if the blade comes in contact with flesh.

?? Explain the logic underlying *that* conclusion.

Yes, which is kinda the point of the SawStop technology: to minimize the extent of the hurt. It really does work. Google it. There are some pretty impressive demonstration videos available on the net.

Speaking of which... you're not exactly making yourself look like Einstein here, you know...

Common sense ain't so common (obviously). And sometimes the conclusions drawn from it are wrong.

People who own them are very pleased with the results. It is a high quality tool, ranks with the best of them. Rather than make silly statements, go see one and try one out. Lee Valley stores replaced all of their saws with the Sawstop.
No one is forcing you to buy one, so you still have a choice.