Sawsall Recommendation

I have a chance to get some home repair and carpentry done in exchange for my buying the materials, and a new "sawsall" for the person who will do the work. That is a tool I had never heard of until recently, but I want to buy one of the very best to give in exchange for the labor involved. He had no suggestions, other than to be sure it was pretty powerful. What brands, models, styles, etc. do those of you who have used these tools recommend? Which brands, models, styles should I avoid? Price is not a significant consideration, but local (Los Angeles area) availability of spare parts and repair services is.
Ideas, suggestions?
Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee
CWLee wrote:

Only one I'd ever consider is what I have, and have had for ages. Milwaukee SawZall
G Hensley wrote:

FORGOT THIS: http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/misa.html

Does it have a model number, size, or other distinguishing characteristics - or does Milwaukee make only one? Thanks.

I absolutely 100% agree with Mr. Hensley. And that is scary.
I have had several Milwaukee Sawzalls. I never had one minute of problems with them. All were either stolen or sold at the end of the project, or upon sellout of the business.
Also, I had a Milwaukee SDS rotohammer, that was their smaller model. It was without a doubt, the best rotohammer of that size I have ever used, and I have drilled a lot of holes.
Buy a Milwaukee. Fergeddabout it. Just use it.
Don't abuse it. Toss it down. Let it get full of dirt. Get loose screws.
It will probably be one of the things left in your estate that goes to your heirs.
Good work, Mr. Hensley.
Steve
wrote

Don't mean to pile on, but i have owned nothing but Milwaukee SawzAlls. In 16 years time I have owned 3. The first 2 were stolen. The one I have now is 8 years old and still sawin' away.
SteveB wrote:

There's hope for you yet.
wrote

Ditto the Milwaukee. I think mine is the 6521-21 model:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)27440936/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl263/002-8491610-0709666?v=glance&s=automotive&nP7846
and it's been nothing but great. Cheers, cc

There can be only one:
Milwaukee Super Sawzall 13 amp
Your son will appreciate it for many years to come.
Check on amazon, for one.
Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, and Hitachi (certainly among others) make some very powerful and durable saber-saws (sawzalls.) In one recent comparison test, the Milwaukee model distinguished itself by being the best balanced (smoothest-running.)
HTH, J
i put doors in ,windows,decks and maintenance on rentals, . i use the 10 amp millwaukee sawsall with the quick release chuck. i cant say its ever bogged down or let me down. lucas

First choice, Milwaukee. Second choice, Porter-Cable.

Craftsman -- not really a bad tool, but it's not nearly half as good as Milwaukee or PC, at a *lot* more than half the price.
--
Regards,
I own lots of Milwaukee tools: Sawzall, worm drive saw, rigth angle drill kit.......they've all given me great service.

Ah yes, I remember seeing this unit. Impressive.

I bought one of those $40 (on sale) Harbor Fright clones. If you just want one to use occasionally it works but you get what you pay for. A contractor would trash this thing in a few weeks.

Did someone else start making a SawZall besides Milwaukee???

I think they have a different name for them, but SawZall has become a generic term for ....... what is the proper name .......... reciprocating blade saw ........ ?
I have seen many copies made by different companies.
Steve
The OP is not looking for price, but quality. So Milwaukee is an obvious choice. For me, I got a craftsman on sale for around $70. It's actually a decent tool, durable and well designed. Not as powerful as the nicer tools, but fine for my uses -- a few dozen times a year. In fact, I have never been on a construction project where a sawzall (ahem -- recip. saw) is more than an occational use item. Much more useful demolition work, and occational remodelling, course...

DeWalt...
The Dewalt is holding up well for my son and he is not the type to take care of anything...so I honestly can not say it is a bad tool....but my RED one is to me a much better saw....
No comment on the Riybi as it is a joke...good for 1-2 cuts out on the back 40 1000's of feet away from an outlet ..for that it "seems" to get the job done...
Bob G.
I've had one (Milwaukee) for years, with so many uses I've lost count. One of my favorites: cutting freight pallets into firewood, too dangerous for a circular or chainsaw because of embedded nails. Also great for pruning trees. I loaned it to a friend, and to my horror, he used it for a wicked purpose: he cut the steel "boot" off his car placed there by a metermaid.-Jitney ;-)