saw on a rope

Page 2 of 2

Two things or three. Some saws are a cable embedded with carbide chips. They work good. Another is a section of chainsaw blade that cuts in two directions. They make a wider cut, so take a little more effort.
Deciding where to make your cut is critical so it doesn't bind when it starts to fall. If you can, a cut under the limb will give you a cleaner break.
Don't underestimate those pole saws. I stood on top my pickup rack on a piece of plywood, and extended mine all the way out to 20' and got several that looked too high. You have to remember that those crescent shaped saws cut on the PULL. Again, plan ahead so you don't get pinched in there. Once you get the saw up there, and get a groove started in the right place, they are actually easy to use and cut fast, as you only push it up and let the weight of it help you on the cutting downstroke.
If it was me, the order of preference would be pole (or poll in your case) saw, carbide cable, then chainsaw segment.
Any way you go, key is getting the line in the right place in the first place. Electricians where I used to work used a Zebco reel on a slingshot to shoot a nut where they wanted to fish a 1/8" parachute cord, then the line. Getting the saw in the right place is half the work.
Good luck.
Steve
benick wrote:

Oh bother! If the branch is sufficiently high, one has ample time to get out of the way before it comes close.
Unless you slip or something....
okey wrote:

Hi, Cutting down a tree? How big and high? Once I did with a small gas chain saw.

Poll saws are only used during elections. :-)