Saw advice

In my kitchen, the counter material (3/4" wood covered with laminate) forms a backsplash behind the sink, stove, and under the cabinets. Since the material doesn't go all the way up behind the stove, I can tell that there is a 1-1.5" gap between the the backsplash and the plaster walls. I need to make a 30" horizontal cut so that a range hood can fit far enough back (up against the plaster wall).
But how to do it? There isn't much room behind the backsplash for a blade to go back and forth without hitting the plaster wall, so that rules out most of the saws I have (hacksaw, miter saw). I have an electric B&D Navigator that comes with a "curve-cutting" blade, but there isn't a means for depth control. I have a Dremel tool with a mini circular saw attachment, but that only cuts 1/4" deep and the backsplash material is 3/4" deep.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to cut the material and/or what type of saw to use?
Thanks.
Curly Sue wrote:

Hi Sue, I dunno if I understand exactly what you are trying to cut, but a back-saw (the kind of saw that usually comes with a non-electric miter box) should work. I think the proper saw is about a 3" circular saw:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/makita/mak1b-10.html
For $75, I'd be tempted to buy a new toy.
Bob

Bob, Thanks for the url. I saw something like that on the diynet website but they didn't give enough info to find it.
However, in following up and reading reviews of this one, it's $75, but without critical parts (like the battery!). Complete (i.e., useable) it's $116. Tricky, eh? Several on-line reviewers were really po'd because they bought it based on the misleading ad. Really, does anyone sell rechargeable cordless tools without at least *one* battery?
Curly Sue wrote:

I assumed it had the charger and a battery! I have one battery that would fit it already, but I would still be pissed if it came without one because I'd like to have a 2nd batt.
Bob
I think that type of material is often cut with a router with a strait blade. You would be able to set the depth as needed but might not have enough room to get the actual tool where needed.
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:43:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote:

You just want to cut the backsplash right?
It can be done with a reciprocating saw. You can use a stop block in the front to control the blade depth if needed. It may be possible to use a jigsaw for it also. One factor is the distance from the countertop to the cut line. The saw needs some clearance. A recip probably needs just an inch. Ed
<< It can be done with a reciprocating saw. You can use a stop block in the front to control the blade depth if needed. >>
Much easier to simply shorten the blade. Just put the blade in a vise and break it off to length or use a grinder to shorten it. Keep the shortened blade in the tool box as it will be useful for many other projects. Works well for jig saw blades, too, and they ate cheaper than SawzAll blades. HTH
Joe
On 30 Aug 2004 16:14:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote:

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I hope this one works; I don't have a router!
Curly Sue writes:

Take it off the wall.
http://www.truetex.com/formica.htm